-7-

•The Lucky Compass•
*************************************************

(Unedited)

Look, for nine months, everybody tried to get me to believe my dad's dead. They say I'm in denial. Whatever.

Denial's underrated. You should try it sometime. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong.

It doesn't make any sense. My dad is the last guy who would ever get lost at sea. This compass coming back to me, my father's compass, which was passed down for generations, it's a sign.

My dad's still alive, and I'm gonna find him.

Cody's POV:

"JJ I swear one of these days you're gonna make me end up in a grave" I laughed as we approached John B's house, he stopped me, putting a finger to his lips.

"And I'll be in the grave next to you" He laughed puckering his lips jokingly to which I pushed his face away with a laugh. He then pulled me to the front door, his finger still covering his lips as to tell me to be quiet.

I saw the notice letter on the door frame, it was from DCS, they were supposed to come round on the day Agatha hit but there was no way they were getting on a boat, to come here.

JJ then hit the door hard three times, before deepening his voice and shouting as loud as he could.

"DCS! I know you're in there!" I slapped his arm, knowing the exact expression in John B's face right now. He definitely just shit a brick.

"Round 'ere" JJ whispered pulling me by my wrist, it didn't hurt he made sure to be gentle.

He then jumped up to the window banging on it where John B lay on the couch half awake. I shook my head before going over and resting my chin on his shoulder to see JB's face.

He looked terrified for a split second before falling back on the couch into a laying position making me burst out laughing.

"Gotcha, slick" JJ laughed, as I got off of his back and stood on the grass again, curling over laughing, "you should've seen your face. Your face was like..."

*******
John B's POV
*******

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Cody, she clearly likes you" JJ spoke, he mumbled the last part though, to which I shushed him looking in the rear view mirror to see the teen, sat in the back with her headphones in, watching the scenery out of the dirty window.

"Pfft don't worry about that, she can't hear us, watch, watch," he spoke, continuing to look forward, "CODY THE SHOW 'YOU' GOT CANCELLED"

To which the teen girl didn't even flinch, I shook my head letting out a small breathy laugh, as JJ pointed as if to say 'see', I tried to keep my eyes on the road as much as possible.

"Anyway, Cody's all like, 'Oh, John B, just take me John B'" He spoke in a weird girly moaning voice, to which I just smiled at how ridiculous he sounded.

"Is that what she does?"

"Don't pretend that you don't notice! I see it in your eyes. You're like, 'I kinda like that,' and you start blushing" He spoke to which I scoffed and changed gear as we turned a corner.