-29-

•The Phantom•
*************************************************

I finally woke up the next morning to find everyone else already awake and all stood together at the windows looking out at the early morning sunrise in concern for John B.

"Meet me at the dock at three, don't be late" Pope told us as I rubbed my eyes and stretched my arms, his voice stern as Kie looked at him slightly confused and hurt. With that I swung my legs over off the table and stood up grabbing my vans and pulling them on my feet.

Without another word Kie got up and shoved the door open following Pope outside, clearly annoyed. I shook my head pushing my hair from my face as JJ and I walked after them, but not going down to them just staying on the small deck leaning on the railing.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings." She shouted walking over to him as he hopped on the dirt bike. I shook my head as he revved the engine cutting her off.

"What was that?" He asked in a cold way before reviving it again before she could talk, drowning out the sound of her voice.

"Look—-" I couldn't make out the rest of what she was saying over the sound of Pope, but I could tell she was trying to apologise.

There was a few further things said before Pope floored it and sped away on the bike, leaving Kie there frustrated. I shook my head tapping my hand against the deck. My ears perked up at the sound of a helicopter over head, so covering my eyes from the harsh sunrise I looked up to see an SBI helicopter heading to land on the island.

"Who the hell is that?" JJ asked from beside me as the sound of thunder echoed in the distance.

"Oh shit" I muttered, "If he weren't pinched before, he's definitely gon' be now"

*********

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asked helping us stack a few bits of food for Sarah and John B, to get off the island.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation." She replied handing me a few more packets as I stuffed them into the crate infront of me, "Is that gonna be enough food for them?"

"I mean for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so.." I replied grabbing a bag and throwing it over my shoulder.

"Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings."

"Look, don't beat yourself up too much. He's completely changed his feels. The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde" JJ assured her, as we all carried the food down to the car.

"I hate to admit it, but I miss the old Pope" She sighed, "At least I knew what to expect from him"

"Where you been?" I heard Miss Carrera's voice in front of me, I'm the only one of Kie's friends her parents approve of, so I pushed JJ towards the other side of the car so that we can give her mother some privacy to talk to her daughter.

"Uh— I'm fine. I slept here" She nodded and pointed to the restaurant behind us as JJ and I loaded the trunk with the food.

"Well, we were up half the night, scared to death, lookin' for you" She replied angrily, I pulled my lips into a thin line and closes the trunk, running aroind to the other side and hopping in the front seat before JJ could.

"Come on, man" he whisper shouted as he walked around to the front seat, I just laughed flipping him off before looking over to where Kie and her mother were.

"We're you even gonna tell us?"

"Well, I'm telling you right now." Kie sighed keeping her voice calm.

"Alright, what the hell are you three up to?" She asked us, looking at JJ and I through the windows, only glancing before back to her daughter.

"I'm sorry, Miss Anna, we just gotta go" JJ replied as the windows were all down.

"Sorry" Kie spoke softly.

"No. I'm sorry. Absolutely not" Her mother replied, before turning to me, "Cody, you're in on this?" To which I didn't say anything I just gave her an apologetic look.

"Look, Mom, I'll explain later"

"Have you heard what's going on out there?"

"Have you seen the storm comin' in?! It's not safe, for you to do-!"

"I'm sorry, Mom. I have to go!" She spoke her voice trembling as she climbed into the drivers seat despite her moms protests.

"These cops are armed, Kiara. You're gonna get shot." She carried on as Kie started up the car, trying to block out what her mother was saying, "I'm not letting you do this!"

"Mom, John B needs me!" She shouted, as I shot JJ a look that said that I felt bad.

"You need to stay here!"

"I understand. I'll be careful" Kie replied shutting the door with the windows now up. As her mom tried to open the door, before looking at her daughter through the window, "Sorry!"

"Kiara! Open this door! Stop it, right now!" I could see that her mom was on the brink of tears, as was Kie. My heart broke for the pair of them, "Right now, Kiara! This is not safe! Stop!"

********

We pulled up at JJ's house after about twenty minutes of comfortable silence.

"Home sweet home" JJ spoke, trying to control his breathing as I unbuckled my seatbelt and turned around in my seat to look at the blonde boy in the back.

"Do you want me to come?" I asked, as he took his cap off to run his hands through his hair, "'Cause I'll come"

"No. No, this'll only take a second" He told me nodding at me to know he appreciated it though. I have a small nod as Kie and I watched him get our and walk over to the place he hated most.

***********

"So what's the deal huh?" Kie asked softly leaning back in her seat, looking over at me as I twiddled my thumbs, "With you and JJ?"

"Nothing?" I shrugged looking out at the grey clouds that were approaching the island slowly, due to hit by tonight indefinitely.

"Oh bullshit, we all see the way you two look at eachother, you're both so oblivious, man" She shook her head, checking to see if JJ was coming back yet.

"I don't look at him in any way," I shook my head with a shrug messing with the sleeves of my thin, tie dye hoodie. "Besides, rules remember, no Pogue on Pogue macking"

"Screw the rules, you made that rule anyway, I hate that I'm gonna say this because I sound like JJ, but 'rules are meant for breaking'" She smiled slightly, as I remained quiet and looked up at the house, JJ came walking out after a while, wiping his eyes that where slightly bloodshot.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked, turning around in my seat as he climbed into the back seat, shutting the door with slight anger. My heart ached as he held up the key and sniffled so that he didn't cry, blinking away any tears that threatened to spill.

"Yeah, let's go" He replied, to which I turned back around giving him his privacy, I nodded to Kie to let her know to just start the car and go, my eyes drifted to the window again, praying that where ever John B may be, he's alive.