-5-

•Pilot•
*************************************************

Once we reached land again, we got off the boat to see a commotion over the dock, along with lifeguards and security.

"What's going on?" I asked nobody in particular, as we started walking over to the scene, we sat on a bar that had been cleared.

"Who's that?" John asked the girl sat next to us, I think her name was Morgan, I was sat between her and John, there were a few other teenagers around us wanting to get in on the drama.

"That's Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm. Check out this pic I got" She told us pulling her phone out, I leaned over Johns lap using his shoulder so I didn't fall on him, "Dead Body"

I cringed at the photo, sitting back in my place. Looking as the police pushed/ rolled the body away. I sighed looking down.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asked, I was scared to know the answer to that question, because if she says what I think she'll say we're royally fucked. I looked up at JJ with an uneasy look as he stood next to me on a crate, holding to the top of the structure to balance himself.

"Somehow, that dirt bag copped a brand-new Grady-White.... Everyone's out looking for it" She told us, I brought my knees to my chest and buried my head in them, feeling slightly sick.

*******

I sat down on a weird green chair, across from Kie before we heard Pope approaching, well, running, he swung the door open a little over-dramatically.

"Okay," he painted as he stood in front of us all, "So, um..... we didn't see anything. We don't know anything. We need to have total and complete amnesia" He said to which I rolled my eyes.

"Actually, Pope's right for once. See, I agree with you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny" JJ spoke, getting up, putting down the lighter he was messing with, I ran my hands through my hair as I looked at the beach to the left of John B's house.

"Guys, we can't keep that money" Kie told them, as I nodded along.

"Yeah if the cops come looking...."

"Okay. Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, guys" JJ spoke slightly annoyed, to which I stood up out of my chair.

"We have to pass that off to Lana Grubbs" I told them.

"Otherwise, it's bad karma" Kie added.

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too" Pope agreed, he was a sort of pushover when it came to Kiara. Wait....... I FUCKING KNEW IT!, "We gotta go dark"

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree"

John finally snapped out of his daze, turning to JJ, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I don't agree" He said to which I smiled. Thank god!

"What? Why?" JJ asked, the same annoyed tone as before.

"Just, think about it. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about right? Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole. Shit, one time I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot, because he needed gas. We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat, who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket, and all of a sudden he's got a Grady-White? Just sayin'" John spoke raising his hands in surrender before falling on my lap nearly squishing me, I put my hands on his back pushing him up with a groan, he slid onto the floor in front of the chair.

*******

"All right, think about it, Pope. How does a marina rat get a Grady-White?" John asked as I stood next to JJ who was holding his fishing rod lazily.