Chapter fifty six

"Do you want ice chips?"

I shot him a deadly glare.

His face fell. "No?"

I kept glaring.

He grinned. "Okay then. More for me!" He then took a few ice chips in his mouth and moaned. "So good. I love it!"

I had no idea that Evan would actually turn out to be a player. Only four hours ago he confessed that he loves me and now he loves the goddamn ice chips. In the next four hours, I'll find him having sex with it.

Great. I'm jealous by the attention he is giving to the fucking ice chips.

"Oh! Oh! Ooh! Brain freeze! Brain freeze! Ooh!" Then he spit back the half eaten ice chips to the cup and grinned when he met my disgusted look.

"Do you want ice chips?"

I rolled my eyes. "Go, get a new batch with a new cup."

"Whatever." He mumbled and looked at his watch then gave me a smug look. "Any second now..."

I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and I clutched it with both of my hands, gasping for air.

"Evan..." I moaned in pain.

He kept the ice chips on the table and gently held my hand. "Just take deep breaths. Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale."

My nails started digging on his palm and I screamed in pain.

"Maria, Maria! Try to breathe. Just listen to me. Inhale." We both inhaled deeply. "And now exhale." We exhaled. "Do it again."

I followed his instruction for a few more seconds till I felt my contraction pass away.

Evan stroked my hair and wiped my sweat with a cloth. "There, there. That wasn't so difficult now, was it?"

I shot him another glare as he wiggled his eyebrows.

"Evan, I'm sorry." I apologized. "For ruining our something better than a date."

He chuckled. "How many times are you going to apologise? I have told you, it's not your fault. I should have guessed it. Muffin didn't like the attention I was giving you."

I yawned and rested my head on the pillow. "But you had more things planned, I guess." I mumbled the last part to myself, remembering that something he was about to take out from his pocket.

"They don't matter." He said nonchalantly. "Just try to get some rest for seven minutes and fifteen seconds."

I hummed in response. "But what about you? It's way past midnight. You should get some rest too."

He waved off his hand. "I'll be fine. The ice chips actually help a lot."

I laughed softly and played with his cufflinks. Evan had discarded his blazer and tie and he really looked like a sexy ass. Obviously I'm not going to say this to him, it will boost his ego.

"Evan?" He hummed in response. "Did you call Fiona?"

He sighed loudly and slumped his shoulders. "I did, but some woman named Jessica picked up and said that she's currently not available. She's gone to some court and left her phone in her office."

What?

"And did you inform Katherine or your friends in New York?" I asked curiously.

"I did." He answered. "But I'm not sure whether anybody would show up today or not. Everybody is too busy with their lives, but I know that they'll stop by soon, they always do." He said with a small smile on his face.