Chapter six

"My my, such anticipation to work in your own party, but you didn't beat me. I have worked in public toilets."

What in the world is happening to me? What am I saying? Seriously this wedding is going to do some serious damage to my mind.

"You—What—Mar—" Is there something wrong with him? I let out a shaky breath, my face finally returning back to its normal straight look.

"We need to talk."

He clears his throat and blinks a couple of times. "Yeah. Let's go to the other room."

He closes his laptop and I follow him to another room. From the stage I hear a man shout, "Ricky boy is finally getting some! Woohoo!"

Do we ignore him? I see Eric walking straight out of the room so I guess we do. I felt many pairs of eyes watching us leave, but only two pairs were burning holes on my back. I caught a side glance of them and saw a mixed expression of surprise and confusion.

Don't think about them right now. Just don't.

He opens a door and the warm breeze of California hits us. I take off my shoes and make myself comfortable in the small couch in the corner. He keeps staring at me.

"Don't look at me like that." He sits in front of me, still staring at me.

"Like what?"

"Pity. I don't need it. Especially from you and the others in the room."

"Why?" He asks exasperatedly.

"I have had enough." My thumb grazes the ring. His eyes drop down to it.

"You're engaged. Congr—"

"Was engaged. It's his ring."

"Oh. Listen, Maria. I am very sor—"

"I told you I don't need it!" I grit my teeth in anger. He raises his arms in surrender.

"Okay, fine. What do you want to talk about?"

I take a deep breath. "Congratulations on the wedding."

He gives me a small smile. "Thank you. It means a lot coming from you." I nod my head. "How did you come here? If you don't mind me asking."

"I got the invitation." His eyes dilute in confusion. "With a letter. Somebody named H.K. sent it."

Some strange emotion passes in his eyes. "I'm glad that person did. You came here."

"Do you l–love her?" The word leaves a foreign taste in my mouth.

"Yes. Very much." A tear drops on my face and I wipe it hastily.

My lips quiver. "Will you keep her safe? For him?" My heart bursted when I saw the emotion in his eyes.

"With my life." He hands me a handkerchief from his pocket. I wipe my face. He gives me a soft smile. "You came for him, didn't you? You came to fulfill Thomas's presence."

"I had to." I breathed out. "I had to come here before I go somewhere."

His eyebrows furrow. "Where?"

"Home."

He doesn't say anything. "How are you? Liza did tell me what you tried to do but then she said you were gone. How have you been?"

I look at the clouds and birds flying back to their nests. A warm breeze blows over my hair. "I have been living. That's all I can say. It's useless to talk about my non existent life."

"Maria—"

I rolled my eyes. "You know, if Thomas was here right now, he would have punched you."