Chapter fifty five

I was staring at the woman in front of me. She looked like the exact same woman I saw years ago. Her auburn hair was left open and was slightly curled up from the ends. Her red gown had hugged her body perfectly like a second skin, highlighting every curve she had grown in the past few months and she couldn't be more proud of herself about the perfect make up she had pulled off even after losing years of practice. Her lips were coated with a light shade of red and her eyes were magnetic, holding every emotion she was feeling. Her grey eyes with a dark shade of eyeshadow and eyeliner made them bigger and more beautiful than they already were. She didn't apply any blusher on her cheeks because the man who would come knocking at the door any minute now always makes her blush naturally.

She placed her hand on her almost nine months old stomach and stroked it affectionately.

She was happy, pregnant and in love.

And most importantly, she felt pretty.

Let's skip the engaged part now, shall we?

Evan was right. Sometimes, it's good to make yourself feel pretty.

I kept admiring myself in the mirror with a big smile plastered on my face. I felt the exact same emotions I felt right before everything went wrong, but this time I know that nothing can ever go wrong.

I really wonder what will happen tonight. Will I finally be able to talk about us as Evan never gave me a chance to do so or should I just go with the flow, just like I have been going on for the past few weeks? Maybe he just wants some time together but in a special way?

Questions. Questions. Too many questions. But I do know that tonight is all about us. Two people who love each other and are having something better than a date.

My eyes went to the clock hanging on the wall and I started feeling anxious. It's dinner time now. I breathed deeply and gave myself a last look in the mirror before I headed for the door.

Suddenly, I felt another sharp pain in my stomach. I clutched it for my dear life and took deep breaths, waiting for the pain to subside. I sighed in relief when the pain passed.

I adjusted my hair a bit and touched the door knob when my eyes went to my ring.

Should I?

I kept staring at my ring, thinking of things I never thought I could do. My thumb brushed over it and slightly pulled it out from its original place.

A knock snapped me out of my reverie and I pushed the ring back to its original position and released a shaky breath.

"Cupcake? Are you ready yet?" I heard Evan's voice from the outside.

I gulped inaudibly and tried to calm my sudden fast beating heart. "Y–Yeah. I'm done! Just a second."

My fingers trembled as I twisted the door knob and the door opened with a faint creek. I met with darkness.

"Evan?"

My eyes soon got adjusted to the darkness as I carefully walked around the living room and tried not to stumble on anything and that's when I saw him.

Evan.

Wearing a crisp black suit and a white shirt with a red tie matching my dress. He was wearing the watch I had gifted him in Christmas and I mentally hoped for the boxers too, even though I won't be ripping them off from his legs tonight. His chestnut brown hair was combed neatly which was something I had never seen before. In short, he looked damn good.

His forest green eyes were roaming all over my body, taking in every inch and I couldn't help but be self conscious about myself. My chest started heaving up and down, nervousness kicking into me and then he met my eyes.