ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1: Qᴜɪʀᴋ ᴀᴡᴀᴋᴇɴɪɴɢ

Carlo Yamato Yuzuki -4 Years Old-

Carlo's POV

Today is the day. The day where I finally talk to others that isn't my only friend, Kohaku. We have been friends since last year when papa got more busy with work. She has been trying to convince me that I should talk to the other kids other than her so that I get more friends. Right now, it is snack time and the other kids and the teacher are outside while Kohaku lied down in front of me. "Come on, Yama-chan! They're gonna love you! I promise!" Kohaku begged as I struggle to focus. "I don't know, Haku. Something feels... weird?" I said, confused. There is a feeling at my back. Like something was hitting it but it isn't super painful? I was so confused that I didn't notice that she was speaking again until she poked me at the knee. "Yama-chan?" She called out, worried. "Huh?" Blinking at her in confusion, she suddenly giggled. "You're spacing out again! Do want to sing first before you meet the others to calm you down?" The brown haired girl asked with a smile at her face. Her gaze was gentle and soft as always, knowing that I am easily scared when it comes to others. I smiled too and nodded. We sang a lot but there is a song that we always loved. It was soft and gentle, but we don't know what it meant. I cleared my throat and prepared to sing as Kohaku leaned in.

"I could say it, but you won't believe me." I sang looking at Kohaku. She has her eyes closed as she listen to me
"You say you do, but you don't deceive me.
It's hard to know they're out there.
It's hard to know that you still care." I smiled, closing my eyes. "I could say it, but you won't believe me.
You say you do, but you don't deceive me." I opened my eyes, expecting for her to sing the next line. But she was just staring. She looks... blank? "Haku?" I called her out, my hand extended to reach out for her when my lower back was suddenly in huge pain. "AH!" I cried in pain with the sound of fabric tearing. It feels like something was trying to get out of my back! Tears started to flow out my eyes as I heard someone shuffling over. "Yama-chan?" Kohaku called me out, her voice is clearly worried. But for some reason, it sounds like she is across the room. The pain keeps on growing until it suddenly burst. My eyes doesn't want to stay open and I feel like I'm slipping away until I heard her scream. My eyes snapped open. I looked at my friend to see her arm bleeding. She has a cut and her eyes weren't kind anymore. Not like how it usually is. Her eyes showed fear, panic and... anger. "H-Haya---" "Y-You cut me..." She said, slightly growling. With tears forming in her own yellow eyes. My eyes widen. I hurt her? Fear started grow within me as she winced in pain and was staring at my back. "I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to--" "Hayashi! Yuzuki! What happened!?" I panicked as the teacher rushed over us.

She had her phone in her hand and was already contacting someone. "Hello?" Someone's voice said from her phone. It was papa. Why was she calling papa? Am I in trouble? The preexisting fear grew and I feel like I'm about to puke. She immediately put the phone to her ear. "Mr. Yuzuki! Your son--" she was cut off and nodded. "Can you also contact Mrs. Hayashi and the hospital? It is an emergency! I'll try to make things under control here." She continued and hung up. Auntie Hana is coming too? With an ambulance? I don't know what's going on anymore. All I could do was stare at Kohaku as the teacher pulls her away from me and started to use her quirk to heal her wound. I tried to call my friend out but I couldn't speak. For some reason, I feel like I was paralyzed. All I could do was stare. My dizziness, pain and sleepiness are now gone. All that's left is the feeling of confusion and adrenaline-filled fear. What's going on? I thought to myself. As I try to think, I didn't notice that the door slammed open. Slowly my brain came to the conclusion. I got my quirk, which are wings that are sharp enough to hurt her. To hurt her. The first thing I ever did with my quirk was hurt her. "I..." I hurt her. I hurt my friend. Fat tears rolled down my cheeks as I stare at Kohaku wincing in pain as our teacher healed her. The other kids started to gather around them to see what was going on. Not a single one came to me, which was no surprise because I only talked to Kohaku.

Suddenly, loud foot steps pulled me out of my thoughts and I looked over to see papa. "Yamato!" He cried as he ran to me and hugged me, careful to not touch my wings. "What's wrong, kiddo? What happened?" He asked. I could hear his worry and concern in his voice and feel love in his hug. Apparently, that was enough to make me sob again. I clung to him, apologizing that I hurt someone and he just continued to comfort and listen to me apologize over and over again. Once I stopped and calmed down, papa pulled away and looked at me. His hands held mine and was making small circles to comfort me. "Tell me what happened." He said gently. "W-We were just hanging out a-and---" I choked and cried again as my grip tightened. "I didn't mean to hurt her!" Papa nodded at me and asked me. "So you're saying that your quirk appeared and accidentally hurt her?" I nodded a bit as I continue to look down.

I suddenly felt something hit me at my head. Looking from where it came from, I saw the other kids glare at me, one was tossing and catching a crumpled ball of paper at his palm, as if preparing to throw it to me again. Kohaku was still crying and made eye contact with me. Her once kind eyes continued to show fear and anger towards me as she pointed at my direction. "YOU MONSTER! ONLY VILLAINS HURT PEOPLE AND VILLAINS ARE MONSTERS" She cried. My chest felt heavy. Like time decided to stop, everything felt extremely slow. Villain..? How am I a Villain? I thought as she continued to cry. "Kohaku! That's rude!" The teacher exclaimed. But I noticed something off. She has a small smirk as she glanced at my direction. My eyes widen and fresh tears starts rolling down my cheeks again. "Yamato." Papa called me out as he clasped my cheeks and made look at him. He has a gentle smile on his face. "Hey, that's not true. It was an accident right? You didn't want to hurt her. Right?" He said. I looked down. "Y-Yeah but--" "No buts! I know for a fact that my son wanted to help people in a less violent way. You're not a monster or a villain, okay?" His comforting words made me feel better, but wasn't enough to shake off the fear. Papa stood up and faced everyone else. When I looked, Auntie and the other parents are already there, trying to comfort their kids who are scared. When did they come in? Was I crying so much that I didn't notice everyone else? "I apologize that my son hurt someone. As an apology, I will be paying for your medication since that cut seemed to be deep." Papa spoke as he kept me by his side, and continued with a more stern voice. "But I would like to remind all of you, this was an accident."

I have to apologize too. It was my fault to begin with. It doesn't feel right if I call her by her given name now. "Haya--" I was cut of by every kid. "YOU MONSTER!" "VILLAIN!" "STAY AWAY FROM US!" "HOW DARE YOU HURT KU-CHAN!" Every insult. Ever word is now stuck in my head. I stopped talking, letting everyone belittle me. It hurts. It really did... My fear slowly became sadness, then betrayal. I wanted to cry more but not here. Please, not now. Papa couldn't speak, too. I guess he was shock how cruel they could be or because my only friend called me something horrific. I gripped papa's pants as I felt his hand pat my back. "Yamato..." He called me out softly. I want to leave. Not trusting my voice at this moment, I tugged on papa's pants. I think he got my message and I felt his gaze on me.

"ʟᴇᴛ'ꜱ ɢᴏ."

☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆

Chapter 1 is done! I hope some parts are clear enough for you all since it had been a while that I wrote something and post it online. I usually didn't care if it was my personal notes or if I don't plan on posting yet. But here I am, probably confusing some of y'all cus my writing style changed from 4 years ago-- I might be adding some the official characters on the next chapter but they will officially make their debut at the fourth chapter.

I  really hoped you enjoyed this chapter though! And that it isn't too heavy. Yet. Thank you for reading this! Votes and feedbacks are very much appreciated!

🅃🄰🄿🄸🄾🅃🅂🄰🄰