Act-26

I distractedly chewed on my lower lip while doing last minute preparation for the anniversary celebration later tonight. Very much lost in thought, I tugged the table cloth at the ends, one by one; never feeling satisfied by the unevenness. I never could have for the life of me thought, that someone could exist in this world who would feel grateful towards Allah for making me a part of their life. For the last few years, I had always only complained to Allah for giving me so many hardships. Every time thinking that Allah blessed everyone with happiness. Whereas for me, Allah had only kept the toughest trials. Never once, did I give thanks to Allah for anything. Always found something to complain about. I didn't have faith like Rayyan. He made so many mistakes and turned to Allah in repentance. Whereas, I didn't ask Allah for forgiveness but only showed anger for the things I didn't get. Yet, here I was, standing safe and loved beyond words; more than I could ever deserve, alongside everything I ever prayed to Allah for. Still, I never once thought of thanking Him.

Could there be a greater gift in this world than someone who gave thanks to Allah for making me a part of his life?

"Zai, darling—I think it's been even for a while now—" I heard his worry laced voice behind me and immediately let go of the candle stand in my hand which fell to the ground with a thunk. Feeling flushed at being caught in such a
dazed state, I turned around slowly to see that he was watching me with a cocked brow and arms crossed over his chest, leaning against the doorway frame.

"Well aren't you a clumsy little dove—" He remarked with a smirk before walking towards me. My breath hitched in my throat as he bent near me to pick up the stand and placing it securely on top of the table. Watching me curiously for a moment only, he engulfed me in his warm embrace. I felt shudders running through me at his touch, but I knew that I was falling in love with the warmth of his touch and the tingles that it gave me.

"Is something bothering you, love?" I heard his soft mumble above my head. I looked up from his chest to his face, realising that he could now read my thoughts so well. Flashing him a small smile, I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him tighter. A few months back I hated him. Always thought he was a cold and heartless jerk. Although, during that time as well there wasn't a single time, he wasn't there when I was in need of help.

Could he be my knight in shining armour, that I never believed I needed—? I couldn't think further beyond.

"I was thinking—You have never spoken in Urdu with me. Even though, you spoke fairly well last time—" At my out of blue words, I felt him tensing underneath me. Just then, an evil thought gave birth in my mind. Pulling away, I gave him my most puppy dog look.

"Rayyan? Won't you—" Before I could complete, he had pulled away from my hold with a horrified look on his face.

"No—! Most definitely not—! I—I know I don't speak very well and I think you'll definitely make fun—!" I could see the slight pink tint on his cheeks as he looked at anything but me. Barely able to hold in my laughter, I inched closer and gently positioned my hands on either sides of his waist. Slowly sneaking a peek at his flushed face, I watched him doe eyed, taking my lower lip between my teeth.

At my this move, I caught him gulp deeply, before averting his gaze abruptly.

'Wow. Even my usual charms didn't work this time? Guess he really is embarrassed.'

With that thought, I began to pull away with a sigh. Once again, returning to arranging the table, acutely aware of his quiet presence behind me. I was starting to feel bad now. I shouldn't have pushed him for it, even as a joke.

Just then, I felt his hands wrap around my waist. Instantly, I felt a bolt of electricity run through my body, making me feel weak at my knees. Slowly, he moved even closer, so that his chin rested on top of my shoulders and I could feel his warm breath tingling the bare nape of my neck—sending shivers down my spine.