Act-9

"—Now we have to listen to these driver maids slander us as well." I paused at the voice, outside the drawing room. My finger hovering over the message screen, as I blankly stared at my phone.

"They are just servants. This is what they do. You don't need to pay any mind to these small people." Her dad interjected and I looked up from my phone to the door, wondering whether to wait here outside the door or quietly leave from the main door.

"You think it's just them?! We have become a laughing stock! Our relatives and everyone in our circle are laughing behind our backs! It's all anyone talks about—Hameed and his wife could only manage this for their youngest daughter. Even out of caste is inexcusable—! But here, they got themselves 'angraiz' son-in-law and even that is someone's leftover scraps—"

Ah. I think I felt this one.

I thought, with a small sigh and almost turned to leave, but stopped at the sound of her voice.

"Mom!" She shouted but her complaint was unheard. I couldn't see her, sitting inside, but it was hard to miss the crack in her voice.

"I had told you before Hameed, that you're making a mistake but no—! You couldn't see anything besides the monetary benefits! Are you satisfied now that we have turned into a social embarrassment—" I decided to leave at this point and just then the door opened with a strong push and I stood face to face with her. Her damp eyes widened at my sight and a moment later her already flushed face became more red, as she gaped at me with trembling lips. I opened my mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out and I watched her figure frozen in the doorway as she visibly struggled to come up with an explanation.

"Can't you keep it low?! Rayyan is just in the next room—" Her dad returned and her eyes darted back to the room. I silently watched her. I was used to all this, since long before but I am guessing, she isn't too used to this.

"Huh! It's not like that half blood can understand us anyways—" A sob broke out of her throat at this and she dashed out of the house. My eyes remained glued to the now shut door, even after a few moments passed since she left.

"No. It's not happening." My face remained deadpan, as I watched from one to the other but Gramps had shut his eyes altogether, whilst, Nan looked away with a sigh. I watched them for another moment and took a deep breath before continuing.

"Does this make any sense to you? I should marry Zaira, because Harris has got him another girl?" I waited expectantly for their response.

"Son, we only want your best interest." Gramps interjected solemnly and I looked at him with a smile, unable to conjure up an explanation that justifies to them, everything wrong with this whole situation.

"We don't wish to put you up to something you don't agree with, sweets." Nanna remarked sweetly as she came and took my hands in hers. Her eyes held worry, yet I couldn't help but look away.

"I know Nans....."

Except, when 'they' get involved.

I thought, but didn't say it out loud. Thinking back to the last time, when similar to the current situation, just to appease my Mum's last wish, I was left with them and still pay the price till date.

Pulling away one hand from her grasp, I patted her shrivelled hands, reassuringly. She smiled at me sadly, before I moved towards the window sill; staring down at the traffic moving outside the hospital. No one said anything for the longest time, while I tried to think of a way out of this mess. All paths leading up to a dead end. If it were anything else, there wouldn't even be a need for discussion, but not when it came to 'that family'.