Act-6

*knock*knock*

My face remained glued to the steering wheel but my eyes snapped open in surprise. Unconsciously, I took a gulp and slowly raised my head to the window to my side.

*knock*knock*

I watched blankly, as he furiously tried to say something. As if in a trance, or maybe in shock I continued to watch his face for another few moments, until he knocked again and motioned to turn down the glass.

"Yes, bibi? You can't see that I am asking you something?" He shot without wasting another second. I tried to say something but he opened my door. Thankfully it was locked.

"Get out." He ordered as he took a step back. I looked away to take a deep breath before stepping out of the car.

"Yes? What do you think you are doing here at this time of the night, bibi?" Before I could say anything in response, he cut me to it.

"Show me your papers." His tone violent now. I stared at him blankly as I started to realize that how I might look to him. Unintentionally, my thought went to the dupatta which was supposed to be in my neck but wasn't there. Nevermind that, I was in a t-shirt and jeans, with tears dried on my face.

"Oye, bibi. Papers?!" He shouted and caused me to jump in fright. I turned to the open door of my car and began searching for the papers only to realize moments later, this isn't my car. I had taken Mum's car in hurry.

As the realization dawned on me, I turned to face him, slowly and the look on his face told me everything.

Ya Allah.
~~~~~~~

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. Groggily, my hand went to the side table, where I always kept my phone. I brought it to my face and snapped one eye open to look at the caller ID.

"Zaira?" I thought out loud as I looked at the time, all signs of sleep disappearing. Taking the call, I sat up and turned on the side lamp.

"Hel—"Before I could say anything, a male voice cut me off.

"Is this Rayyan sahab?" The heavy voice on the other side inquired coldly. An unanticipated sense of panic fell over me.

"Yes, speaking. Who is this and where is Zaira—?" I inquired impatiently, whilst my mind whirred with unpleasant possibilities.

"This is sub inspector Shafeeq, speaking from the motorway police. There is a situation here that requires your presence." before he could say anything else, I cut him off.

"Where is Zaira? Is she okay?! Has something—-" The panic evident in my voice now. Before I could ask more, her voice sounded on the other end of  the line.

"Hello... Rayyan...?" My breath hitched in my throat before I could exhale a sigh of relief.

"Zaira?! Are you okay??!" I shot away at the first chance. She had sounded timid and scared but even before I could confirm anything, I was of the bed and was heading towards my car. However, I stopped in my tracks when I heard a sob in her voice.

"Ye—s. Sorry, but can you—come here—please? I can't leave unless someone comes to pick me—" My hand froze at the door as an unfamiliar wave of anger arose in me.