18 - Rain, rain, go away

Jaehyun's POV

I was standing by the elevator when I saw Chaeyoung getting inside the building. Behind her, I saw a familiar car.

"Isn't that Jungkook's?" I thought to myself before quickly dismissing my idea.

Jungkook works at the opposite side of the city so I doubted if he would send Chaeyoung to work out of courtesy. I shook off the thought and walked towards Chaeyoung with a smile plastered on my face.

"Good morning Chaeyoung!" I cheerfully greeted her when she was nearing me.

"Good morning Jaehyun!" She greeted back warmly.

"We're going to see the final draft for next month's issue today. Are you excited?" I asked.

"Am I?" She playfully answered with a hand on her chest.

"Well, you should be." I coaxed. "Your work was marvelous. I'm sure the readers will fall in love with your stories."

She grinned in response, completely surprising me.

Lately, I noticed that Chaeyoung was slowly warming up to me. Our conversations were still mostly about work but there were times when she responded to me even if the topic was not related to work.

I was looking at Chaeyoung from afar. She was sitting by the glass window while looking at the pouring rain outside. She looked peaceful with her hands wrapped around her mug.

I carefully approached her and spoke softly as I said, "Hmm. Your choices didn't change much, did it?" I commented while looking at her flower tea.

She smiled while lightly nodding her head.

If only that also reflected her feelings about me, I would have been thrilled.

"Um, can I?" I asked, pointing to the seat in front her.

"Uh, sure." She answered.

I rewarded her with a grateful smile as I took a seat.

"Do you know that I used to resent the rain?" I asked while looking at the drops of rain running down the glass window. "I even made a poem. Do you want to hear it?" I added, turning my head towards her.

She stared at me directly in the eyes. She looked curious and puzzled at the same time. From the little that I knew about her, I believed that she was contemplating whether to hear me out or not. And as she met my gaze, I held on to my seat because I felt like I was falling more into her.

After all these years, my attraction towards her remained the same.

She hummed before answering in a soft whisper. "Go ahead."

I gulped a lump in my throat as I recalled the poem that I wrote years ago. It was a few days after I came back to Korea. I was so worried about her and missing her presence so much. And it was raining outside when the words just poured out of me.

I gave her a timid smile and looked at her straight in the eyes as I recited the poem.

"Rain, rain, go away
I cannot let you ruin today
I have errands I needed to run
So please go and show Mr. Sun"

I wanted to fly back to Australia so bad. I wanted to fight for you and defy my family. But I did not know how. Back then, I wasn't even ready.

"Rain, rain, go away
I uttered in dismay
There is someone waiting for me
A li'l more delay it cannot be"