33 - when her friends did their part

Jungkook's POV

And that I did allow. I clasped my hand around Chaeyoung's trembling hand. Shocked at her behavior, I quickly turned my head to the side to check on her. She was biting her lower lip, her brows were meeting in the middle in worry and in her eyes I could see anxiety and fear. I wanted to question her at that very moment. I needed to know the entire truth so I would understand what was going on. But she looked out of it while staring on empty space. So I decided to wait for her whenever she was ready.

She was only back to consciousness when the elevator sounded, indicating that we just reached the ground floor. She instantly let go of my hand and rushed to leave with her short 'Thank you! Bye, take care." But I grabbed her hand back into mine and asked her to stay. I also offered to give her a ride to which she immediately agreed.

She did not tell me where she was specifically going. She only instructed me which roads to take so we would get to her destination. And I opted not to pry further. I let her be, for now.

When she asked to stop right in front of the courthouse, I realized that her truth was more serious than I thought.

"Park . . ." I began to say in worry but she interrupted.

"I really wanted to explain everything to you but I don't have enough time right now." She said while facing me, her eyes brimming with tears.

Chaeyoung looked agitated on the passenger seat beside me that I felt overly concerned at the sight. So I loosened both of our seatbelts and leaned to her side before I pulled her for a hug.

"We'll be fine, don't worry too much." I answered, calming her while rubbing my hand up and down her back.

"Promise?" She asked after pushing me off gently to meet my eyes.

"I promise." I said reassuringly.

My answer brought back the smile to her lips as she said, "See you later?"

I ruffled her hair in an attempt to hold myself back. She was looking at me straight in the eyes with hope and anticipation evident in her eyes. Then she tightened the way she was holding my hand, probably anxious to hear what my answer would be. And I would have given in right away if I hadn't thought of playing hard to get for a bit.

"Hmm, I'll think about it." I softly said, afraid that my voice will crack due to my charade.

"Oh!" She exclaimed with a pout on her lips. "I should go then. Thanks for the ride. And drive safely. Bye!" She added in one go before rushing out of my car, not even waiting to hear a reply from me.

So I disappointingly drove away. But it was not even five minutes after when I gave up on my pretense and quickly turned my car around.

Without planning ahead and thinking clearly, I rushed inside the courthouse with full determination of looking for Chaeyoung. I had no idea what she was doing there so I consequently did not know which way to go. I quickly went to the elevators and to my surprise, I met Taehyung as he was getting off the elevator.

"Hyung, what are you doing here?"

"Jungkook? You actually came! I'm so proud of you."

We both said at the same time.

Not fully understanding what he meant, I answered while eyeing the closing elevator.

"Not sure what you're talking about but I don't have time to talk right now. I'm sorry. Let me catch up with you soon, okay?" I rattled before running towards the elevator and got inside just in time.

I saw the look of confusion on Taehyung's face as the elevator doors were closing. But I cannot be bothered as I had yet to find Chaeyoung. A few seconds after, the sound of my ringing phone filled the narrow space inside the elevator. Feeling embarrassed at the disturbance I caused, I quickly answered without checking who was on the other end of the line.