7 - friendzoned

Jungkook’s POV

On Fridays, like today, I usually hang out with the hyungs after work. Today we were in a bar and they were grilling me to talk about everything that happened with Chaeyoung the night before. I told them the story but I left some details in private, like when Chaeyoung got dressed during the power failure with two of us in one room and standing just a couple of feet from each other. I did not tell them that because I wasn’t sure if I’m able to control my own emotions if I talked about it. I even feel flustered whenever I happened to think about that particular scene that night.

I was glad when the conversation suddenly went off topic, away from me and Chaeyoung. So I happily engaged in the talk to make sure that I would be in the hot seat no more. Then my phone suddenly rang. I pulled my phone out from my pocket to check the caller, only to be stunned at the name that was flashed on the screen.

ParkChae

I curiously looked at my ringing phone for a second before I excused myself and went to find a quieter area in the bar. I ended up going outside to take the call. But I wasn’t able to greet properly after I pressed the answer button because Chaeyoung beat me to it.

“Unnie!” She screamed.

Unnie? Did I hear that right?

“What took you so long to answer?” She continued, sounding distressed. “Can you pick me up right now? I’m at . . . Oh my God! Where am I?” She cried. “Listen, I’m not sure where I’m at. But I’m at a pharmacy somewhere in my neighborhood. Can you believe it? There are two pharmacies in the area.”

“Hey! What’s happening to you?” I exclaimed while I was running to my car.

Shit! I can’t drive right now. I’ve already had too much alcohol.

So I ran outside and waved a passing cab. I told the driver to go to my neighborhood.

“Jisoo-unnie? What happened to your voice? Why does it sound so deep like a man? Are you sick?”

I groaned at her cluelessness. “I’m coming to get you but don’t hang up on the phone and tell me what’s going on.”

“Your voice really sounds odd.” She commented before she anxiously added. “Hurry up! I’m inside the comfort room, hiding.”

“Hiding? From what?”

“I dropped by a pharmacy on my way home because I was feeling a bit sick. Guess I was wrong to accept Lisa’s challenge. Please remind me to never challenge Lisa in drinking. When did she get so good in drinking by the way? I didn’t know her alcohol tolerance was higher now.” She answered and I belatedly realized her slurring.

“Park Chaeyoung, tell me first what’s wrong.” I barked, losing my patience by the minute out of worrying about her.

She sobbed. “Don’t shout! I’m already nervous and afraid right now. Don’t make it harder than it already is for me.”

“Um . . . I’m sorry.” I said with a deep sigh. “Now tell me what’s wrong.”

“Like I said, I went to this pharmacy. I was looking for something but I didn’t find it so I asked the attendant about it. She suggested that I come here. It’s another store a couple of blocks away from the one I first went to. Ugh! Now I’m not so sure why I was even. . .”

“Are you getting off topic again?” I asked.

“Sorry. Telling you what’s wrong is the top priority now. Right. So . . . where was I? Oh, I remember now. I was walking to this other store when I noticed someone walking behind me. I immediately felt alert so I walked on faster. I felt relieved when I got inside the store safely. I saw the man, the one following me, passed by. So I calmly looked for the thing that I came here to buy, glad that it was here. Then I went out after paying.” Chaeyoung explained.