6 - the twins' intervention

Jisoo’s POV

It was around lunch time when Jennie, Lisa, and I received a strange text from an unknown number asking us to meet at the cafe in front of our office. We decided to ignore the message, thinking that it was only spam. The three of us were already heading to the restaurant where we usually ate our lunch. But when we read the second message, we all ran to the cafe right away.

YOU would never dare starve me! I swear to God!

“It’s Chaeyoung!” We all squealed in unison as we ran to the cafe like it was a life or death situation.

“Unnie! Mom and Dad had to go somewhere today. And Alice-unnie sneaked out of the house. Can you come to my house today?” Chaeyoung said after I answered her call.

“I’m so sorry Chaeng but I’m grounded for a whole week, remember? I’m not allowed to go out and play.”

“But Unnie!” She whined. “Jennie-unnie and Lisa couldn’t come to my house either. They said they had other things to do.”

“Oh! Is that so? Then maybe we can play some other time.”

“I already get that. My problem is . . . I’m really hungry right now. And in my ten years of existence here on Earth, the only thing I learned to cook is ramyun. But we ran out of noodles. Unnie, you must help me!”

I was certain that Chaeyoung was already crying by this time. So I tried to calm her down but my Mom called me from downstairs, sounding like she needed me for something urgent. I groaned in annoyance.

This better not be my twin brother’s doing or I’ll definitely kill him this time.

I put the telephone down on my lap as I shouted, “Yes Mom, I’m coming!” Then I went back to Chaeyoung and told her what was happening. I didn’t bother wait for her to answer before I dropped the call. I already knew she’d be upset but I can’t risk being grounded for another week.

I was furious when I reached downstairs and saw the mess my brother made. He was trying to create a domino effect using legos and random things inside the house. I was not sure and didn’t even care if it was successful at all. All I cared for was the mess he made and the way Mom was scolding both of us for it.

I glared at him and he flinched as he scooted a bit farther from me on the couch.

But the next day at school, I realized that I should have done more than glaring at my brother the whole time while we were cleaning up his mess. Because I was busy with cleaning up, I forgot Chaeyoung entirely.

During lunch, Chaeyoung refused to sit with Jennie, Lisa, and I at our usual table so the three of us went to her table at the corner with our heads down. Then we explained ourselves one after the other.

“Chae, even if I was able to come to your house yesterday, nothing would have changed. You knew I couldn’t cook either.” Lisa blurted while doing exaggerated facial expressions.

“You’re right.” Chaeyoung answered softly before Lisa happily sat down beside her.

“Hubby . . . like I said, I was busy the whole day yesterday. Mom and I went to visit my grandmother. And you know how clingy my grandmother can be. She almost never let me off her sight like I was still 5 years old.” Jennie calmly told Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung nodded at Jennie with a timid smile on her face. Then Jennie put her lunch down across Chaeyoung’s seat and ran to Chaeyoung to give her a brief hug before she went back to her own seat.

Now the three of them were looking at me with hawk eyes, making me sweat. I put my own lunch tray down, beside Jennie’s, and met Chaeyoung’s gaze.