Chapter 47

I walk into the almost empty Arkadia, the only noise being the soft bustling of work. I make my way to Kane's office and knock on the door.

"Come in." He says gruffly. I can hear the shuffling of papers through the door.
I let myself in and see Kane's bloodshot eyes look at me startled.
"Clarke! I wasn't expecting you." He smiles looking relived.

"You didn't take the pill did you." I ask looking at his disheveled look.

"No, of course not. They've had me locked in my own study for a while now, that is until you came in. Was no one at the door?" He asks scurrying to get the door shut.

"No." Maybe Jaha planned for me to meet Kane first. If that true then I may have to be more careful than anticipated.
"I'm getting a count on who's taken the pill and who hasn't, but could you explain anything you know about it?"

He combs his hand through his hair sitting at his desk.
"I know you must take it voluntarily, and it was passed around secretly during Pike's departure from the Ark. I knew of its existence before, but Jaha never spoke of spreading the key."

I nod looking back at the door. They could be listening to us right now. I grab a piece of paper and a pen scribbling quickly.
Do you know how many took it?
"I don't think there's really much to worry about." I say shoving the paper in his hands. If they are listening, they'll still believe we're having a conversation. Silence would make them suspicious.
Kane takes the paper and writes down, looking to the door every now and then.
"I really don't know what to do. I think I have it handled though Clarke." He purses his lips and hands me the paper.
Everyone besides the last group that was scheduled today. I've been keeping track of their meetings, and about 50 are in a group every day. Always new people. Today was the last.

I shake my head looking to the door.
"Everyone but that group?" I whisper.

He nods looking defeated.

"Well I should get going Kane." I say pushing a false happiness in my voice.

"Take care." He replies furrowing his brows worriedly.

I open the door and see two people suspiciously talking next the the door. I smile and nod softly before speed walking out of the building.
Raven, my mother, almost everyone has taken that stupid pill. I make my way to the gates where the rest of my group have already gathered.

"Any idea of how many of them took the pill?" Murphy asks sitting on a log instead of his horse. Emori's pacing wildly while Indra seems annoyed just by their presence.

"More than expected. I got at least 100 who said they took it and offered it to me." Octavia says looking back to the building.
"Do you want me and Lincoln to tell the Commander. Surely the capitol should know." She begins walking towards our horses.

"No!" I shout before composing myself.
"The Commander doesn't need to know. As long as we can keep this in the Ark we should be fine." I don't need Lexa fixing another one of my problems. These are my people and I will protect and help them.
"Kane said almost 3/4 have taken the pill. The last group to take it was today before we stopped them." I look to the others for a solution, but none of them speak.

"Do we know why the pill is bad." Indra states gruffly.

"They see a girl, Alie. She tells them to do stuff. A guy nearly killed Emori before we left. Jaha broke it up, but the guy kept rambling about phase two saying she must know where it is since she's left the Ark." Murphy kicks at a few rocks as he speaks.

"Phase two?" Lincoln questions.

"In the house I overheard Jaha talking with her. He talked about the updated version of the pill. How it's the only thing that can stop her." Murphy looks down shielding the sun from his eyes.
Indra grips his shirt in her fist, pulling him to eye level.