Chapter 39

LEXA POV
As the door shuts I feel my body give out from beneath me. I look past to my diary and force myself not to shed tears. I did this for our own good, my own good. A sharp pain reverberates through my skull as my vision goes diluted. I feel my thoughts switch off and my limbs go limp as I reawaken in an ancient throne room.
He stares at me with a piercing eye of ice and pulls down his hood.
"Love is weakness." He bellows, knocking all candles off their sticks.

"You'll never gain control of me." I seethe, letting my anger mask my fear.

"That's what they all say, before they hand me the reins." He snarls.
"Soon you'll be begging me to take over, a Heda isn't all fun in games. You can rule the world with a stomp of your foot, yet you're too weak to even imagine it."

"I'm no fool. You're hunger for more is what lead to your death, time and time again." I scowl standing to my full height. He smiles as he stands from his seat, level with my view.

"And yet here I stand, before you, all the past Commanders gone."

I swallow in fear. It's true. They're all gone. My eyes twitch looking around the room, search for a sign of them.
He chuckles at my attempt.

"Either you kill her off now," my breathe hitches. " or I will soon." His face turns murky and his body disintegrates as my mind goes blank.
My eyes roll into the back of my head as I'm snapped back to reality. I sit up on top of my bed with a sheen of sweat lining my brows. I gasp greedily for air, and flinch as a hand presses a cool towel to my forehead.
Gaia stands at my side with a shallow bowl filled with water and a towel. I shakily take the towel from her hand and unravel it, pressing my face into the soft material. I sigh into the fabric and finally pull it away, looking into Gaia's worrisome eyes.

"It's getting worse isn't it." I state looking at Titus' notebook lying next to me.

"We have to perform the ritual soon, before it's too late. You've already skipped past three of the main components.
'Direct contact' 'Physical pain' and 'Conversations.' If he's already gained that much power he can take over at any point." She warns staring into my eyes. My body shakes as I try to sit up. I'm growing weak.

"We will do it tonight, no later. Tomorrow everything should be fine as we celebrate your day." I focus on a small vase, keeping myself from becoming dizzy.

"Of course Heda." She pauses as she picks up her bowl and towel.
"Clarke has requested to leave after the Ceremony." Gaia casts her gaze down as she scurries out the room.
I take a breathe and walk over to my desk placing both my palms onto the hard wood. I grab my journal and flip through the pages from back to the night of my Conclave.

"Weakness." I murmur. I close the book harshly and the last couple of pages fold in on one another. I take the book and open to the pages. It's from the day I met Clarke. I rip the page out and walk the book to a candle. Holding the end of the book I light it on fire, watching the flames engulf the papers. I toss it into the chimney and the embers fly hazily through the air. I tuck the page I saved into my desk and put out the last of the fire.
"You can't have me."

I spend the rest of the evening in my room regaining my strength, praying to whatever gods that this will work.

I'm fiddling with a dagger against he wood of my bed post when Gaia comes in holding a platter of food. She tosses me a load of bread before setting the tray in my table.

"You'll need as much energy as you can get for this to work." She instructs pouring out a cup of tea.
I tear a piece of bread from the loaf and sink my teeth into the soft treat. Chewing, I walk to the table grabbing an apple off her array of fruits. Once I finally swallow she shoves the cup of tea into my hands, forcing me to drop the apple.

"It's Heartgrove. It's meant to stable your mind and allow your strength to focus on one point." Gaia insists dropping a couple of herbs into the cup. My pulse quickens as I gulp down the warm liquid. This is actually happening. Today I'll rid of Sheidheda.
As I'm eating Gaia stalks over to my desk pulling out Titus' journal, flipping through to specific pages.
After a short moment of silence Gaia beckons me and I sit on top of my bed.

"You must be strong Heda." I nod strapping my hands to a chain connected to the wall. If this goes wrong, he'll have control of my whole body.
I close my eyes and sink into the bed as Gaia's words overlap my mind.
"Reach out for him." She whispers. As I do so my mind is swallowed into blackness, then I'm there, at the throne room.
He sits before me a sly smile masking his face.

"You can't control me." Gaia's voice echoes.

"You can't control me." I repeat.
His smile deepens.

"You can't control me!" I yell.
His eyes twinkle in defiance.

"YOU CANT CONTROL ME!" I shout, the room vibrating from my voice.
Gaia's voice acts as a control as she whispers,
"De kripa ste daun."(the demon is dead)

"De kripa ste daun!" I shout. His face blues against my view.

"DE KRIPA STE DAUN!" My voice breaks with volume. Sheidheda lets a smirk play on his lips as he disinterests into thin air. My shoulders slouch under the release of fear and I finally concentrate on Gaia's voice.

"Come back Lexa kom Trikru."

I gasp as I awaken, a cold sweat dripping down my upper lip. I try to sit up, but see my hands tied to the wall. Gaia holds a glass to my lips as I drink greedily.

"What did you see Heda?" Gaia asks once I've finished the glass.

"He just left." She looks at me uncertain.
"I repeated as you told me to, and he left."
She flips through the journal, a look of disbelief.

"It seems Heda, that you are more powerful than we had thought. He wrote it should take multiple sessions for him to leave your flame, but you've done it in one." She stops looking through the journal and finally meets my eyes.

"Are you sure your ok Heda?"
I close my eyes, taking a sharp inhale and feel my weights been lifted.

"I actually believe I am."  With a look of pride Gaia undoes my chains and leaves me a pitcher of water as she stands.

"Rest now Heda, tomorrow will be eventful." Gaia whispers leaving my bedchamber.
I sigh, rubbing my tender wrists. I don't know whether I can actually tell Clarke about this or not. Maybe it's better if she leaves, without the pain of my position.

A/N
Hey guys! Thank you for reading to this point!! Anyways I didn't realize how long this has gone, but would you rather have a short little ending or have me extend this story? Please comment and vote❣️❣️