Chapter 25

It's barely morning when I'm awoken from my sleep.
"Heda there's urgent news." I hear a warrior tell me.

"Speak." I grumble sitting up.

"Wanheda has been found in a Trikru village not far from here." I jolt awake.

"Wanheda? How did she escape?" I immediately regret saying that. She's not a pet I can hold in a cage.

"The messenger didn't say, but we urge you to leave for the village. No one knows what Wanheda is capable of, or why the village has protected her."
It's true. She can't blame any warrior who may want to harm Clarke. No matter what, Clarke will always be a villain in their eyes.
I dismiss the warrior and start putting my armor on.
I barely fasten the shoulders on properly as I scramble to leave as soon as possible. The ambassadors may be able to withhold our agreements, but who knows about their people.
I rush downstairs not bothering for the lift and find Indra and Lincoln outside. I grab a blade from a table as I walk to them.
"Where's Octavia?" I question as I never see her without Lincoln.

"Still asleep, not for long though."
He looks up at the tower protectively.
"We should leave. The  ambassadors will know of her disappearance soon enough."
I nod and climb onto one of the horses they have readied and lead the way.

I'm restless all the way there, making an hour long trip turn into 30 minutes. I keep wondering why she ran from Polis, or maybe someone kidnapped her and brought her to the village, or maybe she was getting away from me.
My mind buzzes with questions only Clarke can answer.
We finally make it to the village and I hop off my horse heading straight for a warrior. I look around before spotting a friend.
"Nyko, where is Clarke." I hiss pulling him away.
"She should be in the medical tent." He responds eyeing someone behind me.
I turn and notice Lincoln and Indra tying up the horses, I'd forgotten they were here. I nod to Nyko as he pulls away to greet Lincoln. I go through the village ignoring those who are awake enough to greet me and open the flap to the tent.
Clarke's sitting on the bed cleaning a wound of hers.
She looks up to me when she hears my entrance.
"Lexa you.."
I interrupt her and place both hands on her shoulders, looking over her body. My eyes linger on the stitchings on her calf.
"It's nothing Lexa." She assures me.
I pull myself away and look into her eyes. She looks strong, unbreakable. I take my hands off her shoulders and take a step back, thoughts clouding my vision. I pull my hands behind my back and try to compose myself.
A question stings my tongue as I say it aloud.
"Why did you leave?" Me.
I left out the word I really wanted to say. I felt horrible. She was the Commander's prisoner, not mine.

"It wasn't like that Lexa. I swear it. I was lost in the woods and wandered my way over here. Lincoln, Octavia, and I were in the marketplace when we saw some sketchy warriors. Not thinking clearly I immediately ran, no questions asked." She's hiding something, but as long as she's here, I don't care.

"Your leg?" It looks like an arrow wound as it went through both sides of the leg.

"Scouts, it was my fault. Don't blame any of your people for it." She quickly says as though I might punish a warrior for it.

"I understand." We're silent as we look anywhere else but each other. I finally walk up and hug her not caring.
I squeeze onto her, not wanting to let go.

"Please don't do that again." I whisper.
I feel her nod onto my shoulder. I finally pull away and take a closer look at her leg.

"The arrow didn't hit anything important. It should heal in a month." Clarke says.

"My scouts know better than to cripple a strangler in the woods." I tease. The room grows cold and I stand up to see Clarke's expression change. Dammit, her friend was actually crippled.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that."
I apologize.

She pulls a small, tight smile.
"It's fine, I know you didn't." She stands up to get a cup of water. I try to help, but she pushes me away and I end up watching her move. She's using a small staff to walk around, I'll see if we can make a sturdier one. I turn to leave the tent saying goodbye to Clarke first. The village is quiet, only hunters already awake. I walk calmly to Nyko before seeing a curly head of hair. I immediately quicken my pace.

"Nyko why is she here?" I demand.

"An illness came to Floukru. It only effected the children. Most died on the boat ride here. All but her daughter." I can feel my breathe hitch. Daughter?

"Please Heda, I couldn't let the little girl die." He pleads.

I bite my tongue and take a deep breathe.
"There's no problem. Make sure no one knows it is her, she could be killed at the spot for being the last Nightblood to challenge me." I whisper and leave to greet her.
I move to the spot I saw her last, near a tree, and realize she's left. It only takes a few more steps for me to realize I'm being followed.
"Lexa, good to see you." Luna sneers. I turn my head to get a full look of her. Her face is plump compared to the skinny girl I was meant to fight, but her hair is the same. Easy to recognize for those who know her.
"You shouldn't be here Luna. You know the Flamekeeper will have your head when word goes out." I scold.

"Well I heard a new Fleimkepa has risen, and I'm here to represent my people in that time." She looks down on me, even though we're the same height.

"You come for your sick daughter, and stay for your people?" The same snarky Luna, taking more than she can keep.

"What can I say I'm a multitasker." Her eyes travel to a little girl picking flowers in the meadow in front of us.
She shifts her body to block my view of the little girl.
"Don't worry, she's not yours to take. She's not of Nightblood." She hisses in my ear.

"No one will welcome you into Polis, they'll kill the girl if they can't have you." I turn facing her. She can't be that foolish.

"If that happens, in return I will take what you love." I freeze staring. Her eyes twinkle as she scans my body language.
She knows.

"I thought you swore to never fight again." It's rumored it's been years since she's touched a blade.

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that." She starts to walk after her daughter.
"No one who knows me will fight me as I am ambassadors." She states then leaves me.
I refuse to allow Clarke be harmed again.
I head to Clarke's tent trying to have some sort of peace.