Chapter 44

A/N hey guys since we are moving locations I thought I should permanently switch the POV to Clarke's so not everything is revealed. Have fun reading luvs 💝

Clarke Pov

My heart pounds in my chest as I lean against the hallway wall. Two ambassadors loudly argue before hushing at the sight of my appearance.
Dammit, I forgot to warn Lexa about Roan.
I'm about to re-enter her room when I think better of it.
If I tell her in person she may not let me leave at all.
I make a mental note to tell Indra of this, when I hear the laughter of Emori swallow the silence of the hallway.

I pace to my room, planting a small smile on my face, and see Emori and Murphy pointing at warriors outside.

"Hey guys I was thinking about having food sent to the room. Would you like anything?"
They turn to me, looking happy enough to be in each others presence.

"I think we'll just want some bread if anything." Murphy says nonchalantly.

"Of course. I'll go grab some from the kitchens." I leave my room, feeling more like an outsider in the presence, and make my way down to the floor below.

My mind drifts to dark areas, so mind numbing I almost run into Octavia. She's clutching her head as she stumbles into my side.

"Woah, you alright Octavia?" I ask bracing her shoulders.

"That damn fool let me get drunk." She hisses squinting in the dim light of the candles.

"Come with me. I was going to grab some bread from the kitchen." I turn her body, as she heavily leads the way.

I keep my focus on her, as we make our way through the heavy door of the kitchen.

A small boy, presumably in his early teens, scurries around a small island. He's putting up bowls of bread to rise and wash silverware as he does so. He's so small I'd imagine I could take him down in a second, but the dagger at his hip tells otherwise.
I mentally slap myself. Not everyone is a threat. They don't all want you dead.
"Excuse me, is there any bread leftover I could take. I'm sorry it's so late in the night." I coo.
Octavia's found an empty wall to lean on and sniffs the herbs growing out a pot.
The boy looks at me wearily from across the kitchen.

"The commander sent me." I wink knowing he can't refuse.
He nods profusely and opens a cabinet. He wraps two loads of bread and adds a bowl of what looks like butter.
I grab a butterknife on the way out, before thanking the boy.
Pulling Octavia by the arm, and bribing her with small pieces of bread. We make our way up to my bedroom.

There, sitting down criss cross, is Emori staring at Murphy and Lincoln deep in conversation.

"You lost this one." I laugh gesturing to Octavia. She stumbles to my bed, groaning as she gets under the covers.
I smile softly and place the bread and butter on a small table near the couch.
Emori digs in and Murphy slides by Lincoln to grab some.

"Guess this will be enough." I laugh.

"Thanks Clarke, always knew you had connections here." Murphy says between bites.

Lincoln reaches to pull Octavia out of bed before I stop him.

"Let her sleep, I'm not going to be in that bed anymore anyways."

"Murphy was talking to me about that. Are you sure you don't want us to join you?" His eyes told me he wanted to come with, so I give in.

"Actually that would be great. You both will need your sleep, so use my bed." I smirk wiggling my eyebrows.
He chuckles before pointing to Murphy and Emori.
"Oh yeah. You both can take the couch. Gaia told me the bottom should be able to pull out."
Murphy pulled on the bottom and sure enough it sprung out.

I grab extra blankets and cover the couch. Tearing the last loaf of bread in half I make my way to the doors.

"Clarke." Murphy echoes.

"Yes?" I say innocently with my back turned away.

"Where are you going to be sleeping?"
I could feel my cheeks burning.

"There has to be another empty bedroom around here right?" I reach for the door handle before he cuts me off.

"An empty bedroom?" He snickers.

I push the door open, hearing Emori and Lincoln's laughs echoing through the hall.

I press the door into its place with my back and focus on my shoes. I break the bread in half and squish it between my fingers before eating it.

"I'm not going to make any more regrets." I whisper taking charge.

I push myself through the maze of corridors and find myself outside her door.

The hallways dark, the only light comes from a candle not short from the corridor. There's no guards outside her door tonight, probably from how busy everyone is after the celebration. I find myself staring at the engravings on the door. I trail my fingers along the patterned wood before accidentally pushing on the door.
I freeze as a small crack is widened.

"You can come in." I hear a raspy voice suggest.

It feels like I'm walking on air as I stumble on the room.
My mouth falls dry as I watch Lexa's expectant eyes follow mine. She sits, still at her desk, the same place I had seen her last.

"There wasn't enough space in my bedchambers. I was going to sneak in on the couch. I didn't know you'd still be awake." I ramble still holding onto the door.

"It's no trouble. I'm not going to be getting any sleep tonight anyways." She says gesturing to the stack of papers accumulated by her chair.

"Wow they can't give you a break huh?" I smirk softly, grabbing the spare blanket on the couch.

"Most of my council doesn't know about what took place, and I'd prefer to do my own paperwork. I can't trust others with my words." She turns around, now facing me.
She frowns slightly.
"You can take the bed."

I could see the displeasure that would be brought if I refused, and I didn't want to make her night any harder.
Trying not to seem too grateful, I silently make my way to her bed. It's the same as I remember.
My cheeks flush with the past memories of this room.
The heat from my cheeks moves to the pit of my stomach as I recall the horrors of the evening.

I don't say goodnight as I slither to sleep.
I don't need to lie for the both of us.