Chapter 45

I awake to the sun shining through the open window.
It's already morning, but I am in no rush to get up. I roll over in the bed and cover my eyes with a pillow. The world shrinks and dissipates as I fall back into the steady drift of slumber until I jerk awake to the voice of a woman.

"Oh sorry, I wasn't aware someone was in here."

I squint before realizing Gaia stands before me, holding a paper with many signatures. I rub my eyes and sit up, a blush spreading across my face.

"It's not what this looks like. There wasn't any room in my bed chambers and I told Lexa who offered her bed. She didn't sleep here though." I claim defensively.

Gaia laughs softly placing the paper on Lexa's desk.

"Oh I know. Heda and I were up most of the night finalizing sacred documents for me to take the role as Fleimkepa. It's not officially needed, but the Commander insists on it for the sake of history."

Only now do I realize Lexa's no where to be seen.

"That.." I begin climbing off the mattress.
"That makes sense." I sit at the edge of the bed stretching out my arms.

"I should get going, do you know where Lincoln and Octavia are?" I ask walking past her to the door.

"I'm unsure, but you could always check the towns place."
She smiles softly.
I'm about to open the door before she reaches out her hand.

"Would you like me to let Lexa know you're leaving?" Her words are soft, almost like a mothers coo.
I look to the ground, thinking through the outcomes.

"No, I'd rather you tell her once I've left." I return her smile and leave the bed chamber, finally feeling like I have control of my life.

After walking past some rather nosy warriors I finally make it to my bed chamber where it seems Murphy and Emori are still asleep. I smirk as I grab my bag full of my belongings and a pitcher of water. Careful not to soak Emori, I dump the water over Murphy who seems unfazed by the event.

"God dammit Clarke." He mumbles opening his eyes.
He sits up as I throw a towel at him, and dries off his hair.
"Real clever Griffin, real clever." He shakes his head, already done with my behavior.

"We leave in an hour. I'll get us food for the trip and try to get some horses. In the meantime- you should probably dry off." I laugh as Murphy throws the soaked towel back to me. Easily dodging it I give a mock salute and leave for the kitchen.
I run into Nyko as I open the doors to the kitchen.

"Nyko, how's the tower been?" I ask noticing him admiring some herbs.

"It's very nice, but I should really get going Clarke. It's unknown what should happen in the future, and I'd hate to not be in my village should something go wrong."
He takes my forearm and I nod in agreement.
The Capital truly doesn't see the events that happen outside of the walls.
Watching as Nyko leaves with a pot of plants I grab a couple fruits and three loafs of bread. The cooks seem all too busy as they don't mind my breach. They're cooking enough to be a feast. Seeing the same young boy as the day before I tap him on the shoulder. He jumps as he turns around, but relaxes softly as he sees me.

"What's happening today?" I ask motioning to the pigs being cooked over fire.

"The Fleimkepa's ceremony. We rarely get to have more than one in our lifetimes, so Heda wanted to celebrate." He responds cheerfully. A woman grinding some sort of vegetable into a paste sees us speaking and grabs the boy by his arm.

"Yu souda nou chich op Wanheda." She hisses her words making the boy shrink.
(You mustn't speak to Wanheda)

I feel my cheeks burn and look to the woman.
"It's not his fault for speaking to me. I asked him." I insist, not wanting the boy to be punished.

"You should know better than to talk to a child." She seethes.
Hanging my head softly I leave the room, not wanting to cause more of a disturbance.

Tucking the food inside my bag I grab a few pieces of gold and head to the marketplace. Most vendors are still handing out free food, so I take the first treat I can find. It's a cup of berries mixed with a sweet cream. As I walk through shops I almost lose hope of finding Octavia and Lincoln until I see a little boy almost run into me.

(Careful)
"Kefa Gavin!" Lincoln shouts as he throws the boy up onto his shoulders.
"Clarke!" He greets as Octavia comes running behind them.

"Time to leave?" She asks swinging her hair behind her.

"Almost." I laugh seeing Gavin hang off of Lincoln.
"We should get some horses for the trip. I'll find Murphy and Emori, then we should be good to go." I smile.

"Seems like a plan." Octavia states trudging to the makeshift barns.

After finding Emori and Murphy still in bed we are basically ready to leave, until Indra seems to kill the mood.
We're standing in front of the tower as she stalls over isn't two warriors flanking her sides.

"I'm coming with." She states as a civilian brings a horse to her.

"I don't need a babysitter Indra." I say pissed.

"The ambassadors insist that if you leave Polis, there must be warriors to keep you in check. Lexa volunteered me."
She says almost as annoyed as I am.

"You know what, fine." I grudge climbing onto my horse. My leg throbs at the side of it, but it rarely ever hurts anymore.

Octavia leads our group as we make our ways into the woods. The trip is silent, though every now and then we stop for me to hand out food. Indra stalks me like a lion, and Octavia and Lincoln try to make small talk with Emori and Murphy. It's odd seeing two couples with completely different morals. Murphy wants to live while Lincoln wants to avenge. Almost twice have they gotten into an argument before Indra shut them up.

"Murphy what is A.L.I.E. again?" I ask trying to start a conversation.

"It's insane. It's like an artificial intelligence that takes over the body. It's pretty disgusting off you ask me. The host hast to willingly take the pill, knowing they'll become a human slave." Murphy scoffs laying down on the horse.
"Before I left I know they were trying to spread the pills, like a cult. I don't think it's left the Arc though, yet."

I look for confirmation from Emori and she nods.
"Jaha and my brother were the first to take the pill. My brother died, Jaha's at the camp. No one else should have it." She states rather glum.

I nod understanding and hear the bustling of energy. At this point we can see Arkadia clearly. I bite my lip and pull the reigns of my horse, encouraging him to move forward.

"Home sweet home." Murphy mutters.
Home sweet home.