Chapter 46

Almost out of instinct everyone allows their horse to fall back, leaving me a one way path the Arkadia. I let out a deep breath and kick the side of my horse, leading our group. I'm really not sure what I'm expecting, but no one in the watchtowers is definitely not it. There's some commotion occurring within the walls of the Ark, but no one can be seen through the gate, in fact the gates wide open.
Getting inside Arkadia was never easy, even when I was openly welcomed.
I hop off the horse, making sure not to land on my bad leg, and raise my hand, signaling for the others to stop moving.
I take the reign in one hand and walk my horse through the gates, double checking that my dagger is attached to me.

"Hello?" I call out to seemingly no one.
I tie the horse to a nearby pole and start heading towards the noise. Everyone follows suit, besides Murphy and Emori. If anything is wrong, they're sure to be the first to ditch.
I'm drawn to a gathering of people, with Jaha in the center of it all.

"It's not painful in any way." He assures, with a smile plastered on his face.
"It's gives you a sense of joy, it takes away fear, pain, anger. It lets you enter the City of Light." He radiates a call energy, and as I get closer I see he's passed around small pills with a symbol on them.

"Jaha!" I exclaim running closer to the group.

"Ahh Clarke. You are just in time to join us." His eyes look blank as he speaks to me.

"What are you giving our people?" I ask taking the pill out of Jasper's hand.
It's the same sacred symbol found everywhere in Polis. It looks like some sort of hardware.

"Relax Clarke." Jaha chuckles.
"It's just the key."

I've caught the attention of everyone, and Jaha seems to grow more and more annoyed with it.

"Can I have that back?" Jasper asks reaching out his hand.

"No." I state crossing to meet Jaha.

"What does this do?" I interrogate shoving the "pill" in his face.

"Nothing Clarke. It is the key to the City of Light. It takes away pain, that is all." He coos.

"This is messing with your brain!" I shout, directing my statement to the people. I can see Octavia and Lincoln have caught up to the group, while Indra chooses to stay back with Murphy and Emori.

"I want every pill." I state although no one moves.
"Now!" I dictate as Octavia begins collecting them.
I then turn my attention to Jaha.

"Did you really come all this way to Earth just give away your life, your body?" I question trying to get some connection from Jaha that doesn't make it seem like he's inhuman.

"Clarke I never gave up my body. I shared it." He relaxes his face into a soft smile. If we were still in space he would've been floated by now for drug use.

"What would Wells think of you right now?" I counter feelings disgusted with him.
His eyes mindlessly fall to the ground, searching for something."

"Wells?" He says to himself.
He looks past me as if looking at a person, but all that's there is the gate.
"Oh yes, Wells. I don't think he'd particularly mind Clarke. If you don't need anything, I am going to go rest now." There he goes with the same smile.

As he walks away Octavia comes running by me, clutching at least 40 of the pills.

"What are these?" She muses darkly.

"That's the sacred symbol of the commanders." Lincoln looks at them worriedly.

"I'm not sure what they are, but we can't let anyone else take them. We should firstly try and figure out who has and hasn't taken it. Then we'll evaluate whether they are a danger or not." I look back at Jaha leaving.
"He seemed like he didn't even remember Wells."

"That's imposible Clarke. Losing a son is a pain you can never forget." Octavia shakes her head, stuffing the pills on her satchel.

"It takes away pain." I think out loud.
"The pills. They take away memories." I look at the pill I still hold in my hand.
"What are you."