The last chapter

The rest of their lives was ... eventful to say the least.

At twenty years old, they attended their first pride parade. "Jack love.... you know you're my everything.... but those rainbow suspenders clash horribly with the rest of your outfit" ianto laughed earning him a push from his boyfriend. "Excuse me mr jones... I'll have you know I am very stylish and ... oh you're right...." he admitted, trailing to the bedroom to get changed. "Right in the car you" ianto grinned as he tossed jack the car keys five minutes after jack emerged from the bedroom. The night went by in a blur, "hey! Ianto wait up!" He shouted after the Welshman. His heart swelled with love as ianto spun around, laughing, the pride flag draped around his shoulders billowing behind him like a cape. Later on that night he watched ianto sleep in the passengers seat using the same pride flag like a blanket the two koala plushies tucked beside him in the seat.

At twenty two years old they moved into their own flat together, it was down the road from Ianto's uni and right next to where jack worked so it was perfect. "We can do what we want" ianto laughed spinning around the flat giddily before sinking onto the sofa. Jack sunk down next to him "yeah..." he sighed happily "we can". Grey came for sleepovers sometimes, they got to watch him grow up.

At twenty four, ianto finished his degree and became a history teacher at the local secondary school. Jack listened anxiously to Ianto's side of the phone call, "yes ... uh huh... yeah? Thank you so much ..." he hung up the phone and turned grinning to jack "they want me" he told him slightly stunned. Jack pulled ianto into a crushing hug, "well done ... you're so smart!" He exclaimed kissing his boyfriend firmly on the lips. They went out for dinner that night to celebrate.

When they were 27, jack proposed. He led ianto toward the edge of the cliff as the sun set, "Jack what are you-" ianto muttered before he was cut off by a finger to his lips. "Ianto ... let me... I love you" he began as he lowered himself onto one knee and took out a ring" your my everything, I wasn't lying when I said forever and always... because it's true... I want to spend forever with you... jones ianto jones, the adorable nerd who sat beside me in history... will you marry me?". Ianto huffed a tiny surprised laugh, his baby blue eyes filling with tears "I... yes ... yes I will" he managed to choke out as jack slipped the ring onto his finger. The sun outlined their silhouettes with a golden haze as the sky turned pink and they kissed on the cliff top the wind blowing ever so slightly in victory.

They were 29 when they finally got married. Jack was repeating after the priest as he stood in front of ianto. Ianto looked wonderful, jack thought, dressed in black red and gold. Jack himself was dressed in white and silver. "Til' de-" the priest began to say when jack cut him off, "WAIT" he said loudly. "Skip that part... death won't do us part..." he insisted confidently, watching Ianto's eyes glisten like sapphires with love and emotion in front of him. "Okayyyy" the priest answered slowly turning the page of his book, turning to ianto. Ianto repeated his part and then... finally ... it was time. "I pronounce you... man and husband... you may now kiss the groom" the priest announced. The reception was the best night of both of thier lives. Everyone marvelled at the cake. It was decorated with white, silver and gold on the outside with red roses dusted with gold at the bottom. There were six tiers, each tier was a different colour of the pride flag. Everyone was at thier wedding, even Rhiannon, her husband Johnny and their children mica and David. Grey was seventeen now he smiled on at his older brother and his new brother in law as they happily danced their first dance to the song '18' by one direction. It was cheesy, yes... but the lyrics were true.

At 32 they began to adopt and foster abandoned lgbt teens to give them the childhood they believed all children deserved.
Their first was a trans 15 year old named rose, she was the daughter any mother or father could have ever hoped for. Not only was rose beautiful but she was smart and much to ianto and jack's delight soon took to referring to them as her dads. After rose, they adopted and fostered for 10 years until all the children whose lives they had changed had flown the nest.

At 40 they waved off their youngest child (Quinn, a young non binary who jack and ianto had taken in five years ago when they were fourteen). Quinn was off to university in California, they turned before they made their way through security. "Bye dad... tad... I'll miss you both ... I will call every week I promise!" They called before making their way through to the gates. Ianto buried his head into jack's shoulder, hiding his tears as they watched until Quinn and their bright blue hair were out of sight. They both cried that night, in the quiet empty house.

When they were 50 ianto left his teaching job and they moved to Australia, setting up a koala sanctuary. They rescued baby koalas from forest fires or bad conditions where the parent koala had left or perished. They loved the koalas almost as much as they loved each other and the kids they had raised. A few of the kids they had taken in heard about the sanctuary and moved to Australia to help out as jack and ianto got older. Mica and David, now both with families of their own moved out aswell to help out. Jack and ianto loves their family. Grey was running a business out in America with his wife, he was forever grateful for jack and iantos support throughout his life and when asked about his success... he always launched into a story about his older brother and his amazing brother in law.

When they were 65 it all went wrong. The sanctuary caught fire. They rushed around in and out of the burning building getting the staff and koala bears out of the building and to safety. They succeeded, everyone was safe. Jack glanced around the crowd ..."IANTO" he yelled, rushing back into the building. He found his husband slouched on the floor breathing shallowly. "Ianto" he breathed taking him in his arms. "Jack" ianto muttered weakly "why are you here ... go ... leave get out you'll ... die" he choked out tears filling his eyes. "I'm not leaving you here" jack protested. Ianto shook his head "you have too ... it's too late for me... I breathed too much smoke". Jack took his hand and ran small comforting circles over it "I'm not leaving you ... I made a promise...am byth a bob amser" he informed ianto. Ianto smiled with watery eyes "forever and always" he muttered back. "Until the very end" jack murmured as his eyes began to feel like lead. That's how they were found, laying, hand in hand in the only part of the sanctuary that hadn't caught fire. Some liked to believe their love had protected their bodies from the flames.

Everyone they had ever known or impacted the lives of came to their funeral. It was the biggest funeral the church had seen. They were buried back in Cardiff in a specially made double coffin. Their hands were still clasped together even in death and everyone insisted it must stay that way. Every single one of the 18 children who they had fostered or adopted flew in from wherever in the world they were living and made a speech. Tosh and Owen, now married with three children, visited their grave every week along with Lisa and her husband, a retired police officer Andy Davidson. Gwen and Rhys were also married with one child, anwen, a bright young girl with a heart of gold. Jack and Ianto weren't buried alone, in their coffin there was also kody and Kaiden.. the two koala plushies that they had loved so much. After the death of ianto and jack, Mica and David rebuild the sanctuary with the help of all of jack and ianto's friends and their families. They ran it in the two lovers memory. They named the sanctuary torchwood, a name filled with so much love and joy.

So you see... here we are, on the very last chapter of jack and Ianto's lives.

Jack was right, they were together forever and always... not even death could do them part.