I love you...

He could hear them. The paremedics, rushing through the trees. He watched as Ianto's lifeless body... no shut up jack... he watched as Ianto was placed into a stretcher for the second time that month. The paramedics paused and set the stretcher back down onto the ground... something was wrong. More paramedics appeared. "W-whats wrong" jack stuttered. A paramedic turned to him with a grim smile "don't worry, we're trying everything we can ... looks like he went into rather major and fast cardiac arrest with that over dose... we're trying the defibrillator". Jack could only watch as the paramedics worked on bringing ianto back. He winced as Ianto's body jerked with the electric shock that was sent pulsing through his chest when suddenly. Ianto stayed unconscious but the equipment told them that his heart was beating. Weakly, but beating. A kindly woman paramedic approached jack "don't worry pet your friend is going to be just fine". Jack mumbled something in reply as ianto was carted off "what was that pet?" The woman asked him softly. "He's my boyfriend" jack informed her, louder this time. She looked surprised but nodded anyway "In that case.... would you like to ride in the back of the ambulance with him... I'm sure he'd appreciate it you're not exactly family but we can make a few exceptions". Jack nodded gratefully and he was led to the ambulance.

The ride to the hospital upset him. Ianto May have been alive, but he looked dead. It was a terrible reminder to jack what he had done but... either way he would lose ianto, he may as well call him his boyfriend while he could even if ianto couldn't hear it.

The doctors worked relentlessly at the hospital to save the young welshman's life. It was a difficult patient to work with as they attempted to flush the drugs from his body any way he could. He was drifting in and out of consciousness but finally... he was in the clear. For now. At least, he was in the sense that the drugs wouldn't inflict any further damage. Except... they were hesitant about the lasting effects it may have on Ianto. For the time being, he was unconscious and verging on slipping into a coma. There wasn't anything else they could do for him, except talk to him in the hope he would wake up.

Jack phone rang startling him as he waited for Ianto. It was his mum. "Hi Mom... I - I'm at the hospital... no no I'm fine it's ... its ianto he tried to ki- he attempted Sui- he ... he over dose-..." he couldn't say it. He couldn't say the words. Luckily his mother understood and he leant against the wall tears flowing down his cheeks as her comforting voice soothed him through the phone. He was just hanging up the phone when a nurse approached him, "excuse me you're jack right?? We have some good news and bad news... the good news is he's stable for now ... the bad news is he's in danger of slipping into a coma". Jack sucked in a breath "can... can I see him?" The nurse nodded and smiled him towards Ianto's room "he may be able to hear you and if you talk to him it may help him to wake up... he knows you and if he recognises your voice it can help" she added before closing the door behind jack. He gingerly made his way over to the bed. He hated seeing Ianto like this hooked up to machines and beeping monsters and drips. If it weren't for all the equipment, you may have mistaken ianto for someone who was merely sleeping. He looked peaceful. But jack felt the opposite. He took a seat next to the bed and took ianto's hand in his "ianto ... if you can hear me... I want you to know I'm so ... so sorry... I need you to know this... you are my boyfriend... and that scares the shit out of me ianto. Let me tell you a story. Back in America I had the boyfriend ... John, his name was, and I loved him I really did... but he... he was mixed up with the wrong crowd.. he sold drugs... illegal drugs... hard drugs. And he was violent ... so violent. But underneath it all... he was sweet... especially to me. One day I finally said it out loud, called him my boyfriend. You don't understand what I mean when it all started to go so horribly wrong..." he sucked in a shaky breath before continuing "a girl came to me... she told me ... told me he'd been shagging other people behind my back... not just shagging though... he had been dating too, telling them he was single. I was stupid, i forgave him and believed him when he said he wouldn't do it again... I told him I loved him so much it didn't matter. He did it again multiple times... but by that point we were a couple officially and I didn't want it any other way... but there was the fight ianto it was.... it was so so bad"

—————flashback—————

Broad American shouts rang out across the street, directed at John. Jack froze as annoyed, high teenagers homed in on them. He felt himself be tossed to the side by John when the first punch was thrown. Jack slunk back not knowing what to do when he saw it a glint of metal... a knife. He shouted out in panic to John trying to warn him but... the blade of the knife disappeared into Johns abdomen and reappeared soon after, covered in red blood. He heard the clatter of metal as the knife fell to the floor, the teenagers scarpering as John slumped to the floor. Jack rushed to his side not wanting to waste any time, he could save him he could... that's when he heard it the click of a gun. He tensed and looked up, dear filling his eyes as they made contact with a spiteful face. "Relax gorgeous... I don't want to kill you ... quite the opposite in fact... I've been watching you for a while... you're too good for him." The sickening crack of a gun sounded, jack's eyes squeezed shut on reflex as warm blood spattered his face... Johns blood.

—————end of flashback—————

"So ... so that's the real reason we moved here... I somehow managed to gain a crazed stalker he was ..." jack shuddered "terrifying... and he killed my boyfriend... so you see Ianto these things happened after I called John my boyfriend and I've been afraid of it ever since... I can't lose you... and then of course there's your dad, I've never told you this but ...".

—————another flashback—————

Jack was on his way home from the shop. He was deeply upset about what had happened at the hospital and- he felt himself be pulled roughly into an alley way. He came face to face with a red faced man seething with anger and annoyance. "You" he spat "you corrupted my son". Jack was shoved roughly against the cold brick wall "s - Sorry who are you" he had a terrible feeling he knew. "I'm Ianto's father don't play dumb with me!" The man hissed bringing something cold up to his neck. Jack immediately knew what it was. A pocket knife. He trembled in fear... was he about to die? "Listen to me when I say this if you so much as go near my son ... NO if you so much as accidentally once call him your boyfriend or whatever you filthy pansies say ... let it be known that I will not kill you ... I will kill him.. and you will take the blame" the man spat angrily as he took the blade away from jack's neck. He felt himself being shoved roughly back into the street as he made his way home, dazed and with tears running down his face.

—————end of flashback—————

"It was so scary ianto ... I can't lose you... i know it hasn't been long but... but I would do anything for you... because I- I" the words wouldn't come, me mustered up the courage "I love you jones ianto jones". Tears ran down his face he knew there was a big chance ianto hadn't heard him. "WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE" boomed a voice jack had grown to fear. "GET AWAY FROM MY SON YOU'VE DONE ENOUGH DAMAGE". Jack began to shake and Ianto's grip on his hand tightened in response to the screams. Jack ran calming circles on Ianto's hand ... WAIT A MINUTE he glanced to Ianto's face as the heavy steps stormed closer. Ianto's eyelids flickered before his eyes shot open in fear. His mother rushed to his side with a cry of anguish and motherly love as Ianto's father stopped behind jack. Ianto pulled jack close urgently "jack" he hissed his voice hoarse "I heard you .... I'm sorry and ... and I love you too" he murmured with tears in his eyes and with those last words he pulled jack into a crushing kiss before his father practically ripped jack from Ianto's grasp, tossing him from the room like he was tossing trash into the rubbish bin.