The tree

Monday came too quickly for ianto. He wasn't trying to avoid jack ... except he was. "So I was thinking.... oh god ianto put me out of my misery please!" Lisa exclaimed finally as they trailed off to maths well... tosh and ianto had maths Lisa had chosen engineering instead. Ianto's eyes widened, he couldn't be honest and tell her he hadn't thought about it could he? "Uhm can I ... have some more time ... I'm sorry Lisa" he asked, trying to ignore tosh shaking her head at him from behind Lisa. Lisa sighed, "okay but ... let me know by the end of the day ... I need to book tickets" she backed into her classroom as she finished her sentence and ianto let out a breath of relief as the door closed behind her. He and tosh spun in the direction of their classroom when he saw HIM. Jack Harkness. Moving down the hall right towards them. Before he could even register what he was doing ianto had let out a noise somewhere between embarrassment and a school girlish squeak before pulling tosh in the opposite direction to take the long route to maths. "Alright I'm just gonna say it.... what is wrong with you today?". Ianto ran a distracted hand through his hair "I don't know what you mean" he muttered. Tosh shoved him playfully "yes you do... you've been acting weird ever since you got here AND you've been avoiding jack". "No I haven't" ianto protested weakly he paused for a second scanning Tosh's face. Her eyebrow was raised, she wasn't having any of it. "Fine..." he muttered and tosh smiled triumphantly "but you can't tell anyone... we had a tutor session like I said we were going to... turns out he still wants to be something like friends anyway. He tried to ... he tried to kiss me". Tosh laughed, actually laughed at him "is that all! I thought you were gonna say he tried to poison you" ianto blushed and tosh carried on "you didn't kiss though right?" Ianto shook his head "and you don't want to kiss him?" Ianto hesitated for a moment "ianto ... you're straight .. right?" He nodded "right then... so what are you worried about" tosh laughed as they turned into their maths room "just talk to him he'll understand". They took their seats in maths and ianto fired off one text from his phone.

Meet me out by the tree after this lesson if you've got a free period - ianto

Immediately he got a reply.

I've got a free. Meet you then - jack

The maths lesson went far too slowly for Ianto's liking. He just wanted to get his talk with jack over and done with. Finally the bell rang. "I'll meet you and Lisa in the library... in... five minutes ...I've just got to ... Uhm ..... do something really quickly" he babbled to a confused looking tosh before shooting out of the room.

Everyone knew what 'the tree' was. It was the large oak tree at the bottom of the school field it was often shaded from the sun and all in was a good place for a private chat. He leant against the tree and soon enough he heard the American call out to him "fancy seeing you here", Ianto couldn't help but laugh. "What's up" jack asked as he leant against the tree next to Ianto "you've been avoiding my calls and then I get that one text... everything okay?". Ianto took a breath "I ... yeah it's just about Saturday... I'm sorry". Jack smiled and reached out a hand, touching Ianto's shoulder "don't be ... I'm sorry... I'm just glad you're okay when you didn't answer I ... thought something had happened and then I saw you were fine but you were ignoring me and-". Ianto hadn't even realised he'd placed a finger on jacks lips to quieten him. He almost felt jacks breath hitch as he suddenly became aware of how close they suddenly were. He dropped his hand from jacks lips but somehow it came to rest on the Americans chest. He was aware of his breathing and the wind around them as he looked into jacks eyes. He hadn't even noticed they had been leaning in until his eyes fluttered closed and their lips met. The kiss was short and sweet, ianto barely had time to move his hand from jacks chest to his neck before they were pulling away again. Immediately their eyes widened "oh god I'm sorry ... I mean I don't..... not with other guys I'm..stra... I'm sorry" ianto babbled as they panic rose in him "I have to go" he muttered as a form of explanation, flushing red as he rushed off to find tosh and Lisa in the library.

"Ianto! You said five minutes it's been twenty!" Tosh scolded before she looked at him properly "have you been running?...are you okay?". Ianto nodded before sitting down heavily next to Lisa "yes" he half gasped half told her. "What?" She frowned at him as if he wasn't making much sense. "Yes I'll go on a date with you" ianto explained half regretting the words the minute they tumbled from his mouth. Lisa gave a small squeal of joy while ianto tried to avoid Tosh's glare. He knew she's noticed that his cheeks were a little more flushed than normal. He just hoped she thought it was from the running...