Chapter 9 - Retrieving the keys

Your POV

Once we were sure they had left, we rushed up the staircase. Haddock trying to open the door while me and Tintin stood behind him. "I know what Sakharine is looking for." I heard Tintin mumble. The captain turning to around upon hearing that. A question-like expression on his face, "What are you raving on about?"
"It was written on the scroll. Three brothers joined. Three Unicorns in company sailing in the noonday sun will speak." Tintin said, repeating the poem.

"Really? ... So?" Captain Haddock said confused, not able to follow what he was going on about. "So, Sir Francis didn't make two models of the Unicorn. He made three! One ship for each son." I clarified, pointing at him when saying 'son'. Haddock expression started to lighten up, "Excellent!" He whispered, holding his fists up in triomphe, before continuing down the hall.

"Sakharine is after the third model ship." Tintin whispered while all of us snuck though the empty hallway. We had reached the very last door, only to find it lock. "Barnacles! Someone's locked the door!" He cursed in despair. "Well, is there a key?" Tintin asked, gripping Haddocks shoulders.
"A key? Ahh..." Haddock said in realization. An overwhelming smell of alcohol leaving his mouth. The odour so strong that even I could smell it from a few feet away, waving my hand to get rid of the smell while my face showed an expression of displeasure. "Yeah, that might be a problem." Haddock mumbled, slightly pushing Tintin aside as he walked away.

"You okay?" I asked, since he stood still for a while before grabbing the wall for support. The boy nodding his head as he followed the Captain, still not full stable on his feet.

We passed a couple of doors, Haddock silently opening the one we needed to enter. However, when I peeked inside, it wasn't what I had expected in the slightest.
The room was a sleeping area, filled with all of Haddocks crewmembers. It was an absolute mess to say the least. A sweaty odeur and series of snores going around the room.

Haddock pointed to one of the sleeping men. "Mr. Jaggerman. Top bunk in the center. Keeper of the keys. Careful though, he's a restless sleeper on account of the tragic loss of his eyelids." Haddock explained. Wow, that is tragic. But aside from that, it's not making it any easier in our case.
"He lost is eyelids?" Tintin asked stunned.
"Ay. Now, that was a card game to remember. You two really had to be there..." Haddock sighed, Tintin quietly sneaking inside. However, I got in first.

"I'd do this myself Tintin, but you have a lighter tread and less chance of waking the boys... What are ya doing lassie?!" Captain Haddock said to Tintin before he saw I was already inside the room. Slight panic showing on his face. "What does it look like? Getting the keys of course." I whispered back. "No (Y/N), it's too risky. I'll do it." Tintin insisted. But being the stubborn human being I am, I didn't listen.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Tintin asked the captain, who assured him it was there was nothing to worry about ... that is if they all stayed asleep.

I went over to the last bunkbed, climbing up the ladder. "I would get to close to Mr. Hobbs. He's very handy with the razor." Captain Haddock advised me as I made a mental note about it. "And, and I'd stay clear of Mr. Gitch." He added, making me look to the man he was pointing to. He was a really buff guy, a rat trapped in his left fist. "Sacked as a shepherd on account of his 'animal husbandry'." Haddock commented.

Now crawling over the top bed, towards the keys. I tried to reach them but it was still to far.
I noticed a shark hanging from the ceiling. I managed to grab the fin, using it to my advantage to reach the keys. Still nothing.
I glanced to (P/N), who had now landed on the bed beside me.

I scolded myself in my mind for not thinking of it sooner. I pointed to my feathered friend before she followed her gaze towards the keys. She flew up there only to start pecking on a left over sandwich instead. I sighed annoyed. I tried to grab onto the fin again, only this time the beds fell over to the side. Luckily, I was fast enough to grab the metal pipe from a bed. Landing 'safely' on and empty bunkbed.
The down side was that a sleeping crew member had fallen down beside me. I pushed him off before he had the chance to get comfy. The keys were so close.

But just my luck. Another guy fell off his bunkbed onto mine. The weight to heavy which caused all of the beds to collapse.
The result? I was practically buried under a bunch of heavy and stinky crew men. I made my way out from between their bodies. I pushed my arm out from between them, the bundle of keys jingling in the air. I shoved the last ones off me and stepped out, surprised none of them had woken up from their slumber. I saw Haddock with an overjoyed expression, clapping his hands in excitement.

 I saw Haddock with an overjoyed expression, clapping his hands in excitement

(A/N: I love this GIF!)

Once outside, I tossed the keys his way. "You're a brave one lassie, I'll give ya that! My heart in my mouth, I don't mind telling ya." Haddock commented, speed walking to the locked door.

"Are you alright?" I heard Tintin asked as we went behind the captain, his eyes checking for any wounds. "Don't worry, I'm fine. Although I never ever want to experience something like that again." I said, brushing of the dirt and dust from my clothes. My hand brushing the loose pieces of (H/C) hair out of my eyes.
My eyes widened slightly as a grin found its way to my face. "Why? Were you worried about me?" I teased. Without answering, Tintin turned his head sideways, avoiding my gaze.
Unbeknown to me that a blush was spread across his cheeks, disappearing just as soon as it had come.

Haddock had turned the locked the door, turning our way. "Well, that is, if it was my heart. Judging by my stomach, it could've been anything, really."

"Hurry up, Captain! We've not a moment to lose." Tintin said, the Captain laughing before pulling open the heavy door. "Bingo! Just the necessities, of course." The captain said happily, his eyes glimmering like a child who had received a present. While Tintin and I stood there speechless. The room was no escape room or hallway, oh no. It was a cabin filled from top to bottom with whisky, vodka and many other kinds of liquor. The captain starting to fill up every pocket in his jacket with new bottle. Kissing the final one he carried in his hand before turning the other way. "To the lifeboats."

I couldn't believe I had gone through all that trouble for a few bottles of alcohol...
I sighed slightly annoyed and just decide to follow him since I didn't really know how to react. Tintin seemed to have, probably the same my own, dumbfounded and confused expression. The two of us following behind the captain down the hall.