Chapter 16 - Breathe

"ROSIE!" the voice sounds far away

"Rosie come on"

Hands prise mine away from my ears and I'm hauled to my feet. I feel a little unsteady and sway slightly but an arm goes around my waist and we start moving through people who are still too loud.

"Move!" it's Yoongi. I've never heard him raise his voice or sound angry like this. But it does the trick as suddenly we're outside where it's now almost empty. I guess everyone is inside watching the tournament.

He pretty much drags me over to the other side of the yard where there's a porch swing and then gently lowers me onto it.

"Put your head between your knees Rosie"

I do as he says without question.

He crouches in front of me and takes both of my hands in his and I grasp onto them.

I'm still taking in short little panicked breaths.

"Rosie, listen to me. Take a long slow breath in through your nose and hold it for 3 seconds"

So I do.

"Now breathe out slowly through your mouth and try to relax"

I follow his instructions.

"Do it again Rosie"

I sit there gripping his hands and doing breathing exercises for a couple minutes until I start to breathe easier.

"What food do you like?" he suddenly asks me.

"Huh?"

"Just answer the question"

"I dunno... I like most foods I guess. But I miss British food"

"Like what?"

"Fish and chips, properly cooked Sunday roasts, English breakfasts, Yorkshire puddings, real meat gravy, not that excuse for gravy they have here"

He chuckles.  "Not keen on the food here?"

"It's alright if you want to survive on hot-dogs, hamburgers and pizza. Ironically, my favourite American food is pancakes and I havent had a single one since I got here" I huff all annoyed at this.

Eventually I lift my head up. He was distracting me and it worked.

"Better?" he croaks.

"Yes" I whisper. "I'm sorry Yoongi"

"I swear to god if you apologise for stupid shit one more time Rosie". I smile at his cute little outburst.

"Urgh, I can't believe I almost made it through tonight without making a fool of myself!"

"You didn't. No one even noticed".

"You did though".

"I was looking for you when I came back from the bathroom. Then I saw those idiots fucking about and had a bad feeling you were over there." He sounds angry.

"I shouldn't have come. I can't do stuff like this."

There's a moment of silence between us and then he asks "Where does this all stem from Rosie?"

I look into his eyes. He's so genuine and kind. Can I trust him, like I trusted Beth? I feel like I owe him a bit of an explanation at least.

"Back home. I had a rough couple years. My ex... he wasn't a very nice person".

That's the understatement of the century and it's actually more than I meant to say but it just came out and now he's looking at me with shock and a bit of anger.