Chapter 44

"Why would you do this, (Y/N)?"

Mark's words cut through my heart like acid, my image instantly trashed and kicked off to the side.

He didn't believe me.

He took his mom's side.

I-I failed to switch the narrative...

There was this hard, cold sting in my heart and entered and failed to leave. It made my fist curl up and it tightened up my chest, making it hard for me to breathe. I tried my hardest to regain my posture, breathing in and out at a steady pace but my nerves wouldn't let me calm down. Tears started to fall down my bright red cheeks and my small frame started to shake violently. I had lost control of my body, I couldn't return back to normal.

"Answer me, (Y/N)." It made my small heart sting more. I was aware of how intense my heart was beating and my throat started to become dry because of the tone he used. 

When he spoke, he wasn't angry.

His tone displayed disappointment.

Mark was disappointed in me.

I looked back up at him and his chocolate eyes were unreadable. The only thing I could gather was disappointment. And it hurt more, knowing that the one person I lived for was disappointed in me.

Tears started to come down like a waterfall, and this time it was mom's time to laugh. She smirked, picking up her phone from the kitchen table, wiping her tears as she started to call the police. My body dropped to the ground with a loud thud and I was left with no choice but to do the thing I hated: begging. I had nothing to lose and every other plan failed, so...

"M-mark...you have to believe me!" With glossy eyes, I sat on my knees and clasped my hands above my head, hoping he'd at least pity me enough to not turn me in. Turning me in would mean our beautiful future won't happen. Us holding hands while wearing hanboks, eating traditional snacks and possibly having children, all of it wouldn't happen.

 "Please baby..." I started to cry heavily, my voice coming out shaky and weak as my body violently trembled, every second with Mark keeping silent feeling like an hour. It was hell exaggerating everything, but his glare didn't change. He still didn't believe me while his mom started talking to the police. "C'mon Mark, a-after all the love that I gave to you? You're gonna throw away all of my hard work? Just like that?" I looked up at him for a second, displaying a small smile through my hot tears.

"Love?" The brown-haired man huffed, crossing his arms over his chest and raising an eyebrow. "You gave me love?" And at that point, I didn't know what hurt most: a knife to the chest or Mark's insultingly cold words. And he didn't even hesitate, questioning everything about my existence and our relationship.

And at that point, I knew I was through. There was no point in trying anymore. For fuck's sake, he didn't even see the blatant love and respect that I displayed for him, why would he care about putting me in jail? His mom was obviously to blame too, filling his head with propaganda that I was the evil one and tried to hurt her. Had she minded her own business, this wouldn't have happened. But alas, I've lost this dying fight and had to take the loss one way or another. There's nothing to do that'll change his mind, and well...

Sighing, I got onto my feet, dusting off my legs and behind while a calm expression stayed on my face. I couldn't escape as the police were probably right outside the door and being in the same room as Mark made my gut turned, so I turned and walked inside the living room. I sat on the couch and ran a hand through my (H/C) locks while I pulled out my phone to check my social media. I didn't bother with talking to either of them as they stood at the entranceway of the living room, arms folded over each other on their chest while Mark's mom smirked and Mark looked down at me.

I still couldn't get over the fact that I disappointed the one person who I managed to love, it was a deep, cold sting that would probably stay within me till I die, and if that were to be the case, I wanted to die now. It hurt way too much, knowing I only did the things I did for him out of genuine love and affection. Getting close to him was out of love, kidnapping and killing Sooyoung was out of love. What more could he want?

Mark's mom whispered something to him, giggling happily while Mark's face or posture didn't change. His chocolate eyes never left my frame while his mom continued to gossip in his right ear. She said my name once or twice but I didn't care if she was gossiping about me. It wouldn't matter when I'm outside or inside of jail, so why waste energy acting on it?

"I guess this is the path that she chose after her parents died." I couldn't help but sharpen my hearing after those words fell out of her mouth. "If I knew it would have been this way, I probably wouldn't have poisoned them." My parents weren't the ones to shower me in hugs and kisses, I don't even think they said they loved me once because they were so focused on their company, but everyone and their mom's know that my parents were killed in a car crash.

"What-" Mark and I gasped in unison, directing our eyes to the older woman.

"You know? Two drops here, two drops there, nothing complicated. But those two drops spawned this mess which is way more complicated than I intended." She huffed, rubbing her temples. Her son and I were equally confused, wondering what she was talking about. But before either of us could ask our questions, a knock could be heard from the front door. The older woman smiled at me before walking towards the door and opening, suddenly bursting into tears and sobbing as a deep voice came from outside.

"A call came- ma'am are you okay?" The worried policeman said, frantically trying to calm the woman down. Mark was shocked by her antics, mouth slightly agape as if he never saw his mom act like that before.

"S-she in there..." She said and heavy boots could be heard walking into the living room. By then, I was standing, with my arms behind my back, waiting to be cuffed while Mark's mom continued to force tears out of her brown eyes.

It didn't take long for the police to discover me and Mark moved out of the way so that they could detain me. I was placed in handcuffs, they gave their reason for my arrest (attempted murder) and was brought outside the house. But before I could leave, I looked at the handsome man near me. This was probably the last time I would ever see his beautiful, dark chocolate eyes hidden behind his silky raven hair, his defined jaw that barely had any facial hair which made him even more attractive as the minutes passed by, so I took my time and admired him. I smiled when we made eye contact.

"I liked you, I really did. Too bad it had to end like this." And before I could get another word out, I was pushed out of the house by the policemen who tsked at my words.