Kabanata 29

Kabanata 29

Casimiro

When I started politics, I've been popular and invited in different events and contests to judge. I first saw her there. Her natural morena look. Simple yet pretty. Plus her angelic voice that capture my heart. Every now and then, I didn't refuse being a judge in most of the singing contests in town. Why? Because I knew that I will see my dalagang filipina there.

Aria.

I already knew Aria even before I met Andrea, her sister. Nakita ko na si Aria sa iba't ibang events. I was really surprised when I found out that they were sisters. Doon ko lang nalaman sa picture na ipinakita sa akin ni Andrea. They were both beautiful but they have opposite beauty.

Andrea is the mestisang chick that will make every man make a second glance. While Aria, her younger sister is the dalagang filipina beauty that can be a beauty queen that may represent the country. Aria is also taller than her sister. I was not comparing them. No—never. I was just stating their differences.

Bihira na akong mag-judge sa contest because I was afraid to fall completely to Aria. I was already having a relationship with her sister, Andrea then.

Andrea was working in my office that time. She was the personal secretary of the mayor, eventually we were developed. I fell in love deeply with Andrea, that I totally forgot about Aria.

Everything was perfect between me and Andrea. Nagtagal kami ng mahigit isang taon. But my second term as councilor made me much busy from campaign, until I started working again. Being the top councilor gave me bunches of workload.

Nawalan ako ng oras kay Andrea. She broke up with me. Telling me I'm at fault. Nakita ko rin na hindi maganda ang itsura ni Andrea. She was pale and thin. I felt guilty. Parang napabayaan ko siya sa sobrang busy ko sa trabaho.

Pinilit kong ayusin—but she refused and left the apartment where she was staying.

I made myself busy with work to the point that I forgot about Andrea.

Until that one day. Kumatok sa opisina ko ang isang babaeng may dalang bata. I think she looked familiar but I don't know where I actually saw her.

Pinapaako niya sa akin ang bata. She told me it was my daughter with her sister, Andrea. Napagtanto ko rin na siya si Aria. My dalagang filipina crush, few years ago. Nag-mature ang itsura niya. She's no longer the sweet innocent looking girl I admired back then. Matured, motherlike but still beautiful, that's how she looked that day, holding my daughter.

Iniwan niya sa akin si Cassia, my sunshine. Masama man ang balitang nalaman ko tungkol kay Andrea. Nalungkot ako, ngunit napawi iyon nang maganda naming anak. She looked like Andrea—no she looked more like me.

I felt complete. Natakot ako, oo. Because having a kid was a big responsibility. Lalo na at mag-isa ako. Mas mabigat pa ito sa responsibilidad bilang politician.

Akala ko kaya ko. Not until my baby started crying and was looking for her Tita—the one she called Mama. Sobrang tindi ng iyak niya.

I decided to look for her. Pinahanap ko siya sa mga tauhan ko. Luckily, they found her that same day. Voila—parang himalang nawala ang pagmamanya ng anak ko.