Part 28

Zayn was sitting in his office signing a few papers when he heard someone's knuckles tap on his door. He was not expecting the person he was seeing.

"Hey, wait a minute... I met you at the party a couple of weeks ago. Sorry, but I don't recall your name."

"It's Brian. And you're Zayn."

"Yeah. You must've just read my name plate."

"Of course not... Okay yeah. But in all fairness, I knew it already. I couldn't forget it... Or you."

"Ah. Well, what brings you here to my office? Can I help you with something?"

Brian came all the way in and closed the door behind him. "Yeah, there is actually."

"What might that be?"

"Isn't it about time for your lunch break?"

"Why?"

He plopped down in one of the chairs positioned in front of Zayn on the other side of his desk. "Because I'm going for lunch in about five minutes."

"So..."

"So I was wondering if you wanted to stop working and join me."

"Oh... You want me to eat lunch with you."

"There you go, Mr. Malik. You're catching on."

Zayn sighed. "That's such a nice offer, Brian. Really. But I can't."

"Why not? Because we could totally stop by a coffee shop and get some coffee afterwards. It's a true November cold outside today."

Brian flashed him a smile and a wink that made Zayn think about it. True enough, he was feeling extra drained today. He could use a good hot cup of coffee. And he was sure that where ever they went to, it would taste so much better than the office coffee he had to drink here. The only thing was, he didn't want coffee alone with Brian. He wasn't Harry or Louis. So he made up his mind. "No. I'm sorry. Thanks for the offer. I have coffee here to sip on."

Brian's lips parted in disbelief. He was turned down twice. "But I thought..."

"What?"

"You flirted with me, Zayn."

"When?"

"At the party. You flirted with me. And you weren't drunk either. You were sober. So you can't use that as an excuse. And your friend said you were married, but married people don't look at single people the way you looked at me. Unless they're not happy and they want to... you know."

Zayn rolled his eyes. "I'm not married. That was just Louis being my best friend and protecting me."

"Oh, so he lied... and you're not with anyone? Why didn't you just speak up? This would have been easier. I thought I was gonna have to sneak you around with me."

Zayn couldn't believe what he just heard. "Wait... So what you're saying is that even though you thought I was married, you still came and tried to take me out for lunch and coffee. Are you really that stupid to think I'd purposely cheat on Harry?"

"Harry... What? I thought you weren't married."

"I'm not."

"But you just named Harry. That's the same guy your friend Louis mentioned."

"Yeah, but I didn't say we were married. However, I am in a committed relationship with him and we have a child."

"We? I don't get it. Why were you flirting with me if you're in a committed relationship?"