Part 18

Louis was surprised to see Zayn standing at his door Friday afternoon. That was the last thing he was expecting.

"Zayn, why are you here? Did I miss your call?"

"No, because I didn't call. I'm sorry, but I just need to talk to you."

"Oh." Louis backed out of the way letting Zayn step through. "Why don't we go to the movie room and sit in the lazy chairs then?"

Zayn shook his head. "Or we could just go sit on the barstools in the kitchen."

Louis gave him a questioning look. "You must really want to talk then. You never pass up sitting in the movie room."

Zayn went into the kitchen and sat down on one of the stools. Louis sat next to him, tapping his fingers on the counter. "Alright. What's going on?"

Zayn nervously chewed the inside of his bottom lip. "It's Harry."

Louis froze. "What do you mean it's Harry? What happened?"

"I think he knows."

"You think he knows? Knows what?" Louis' eyes grew big. "Oh... How can he know? You haven't told him, right?"

"No, but I think he saw the letter."

"What letter?"

"The letter I showed you at work a couple of months ago. The one my mother sent."

"Well, how did he read it? When did he see it?"

"I'm not one hundred percent sure. But think I have an idea. Last Friday, he stayed over and when he woke up, he had a headache. He knows I keep medicine in my nightstand drawer and that I don't mind him taking a couple pills when he needs them, so he went himself and got the bottle out. Well, the drawer they were in is the same drawer the letter was in. I think that's when he read it."

"Okay, obviously you weren't there. So what makes you so sure he did? You might just be paranoid."

But Zayn shook his head. "No, I am not paranoid. Later that night, after Harry went home, I saw that he had left the bottle of pills out on the coffee table in the living room. So I went to put them back. When I opened the drawer, the envelope was turned over and part of the letter was sticking out. I'm telling you, Lou. Harry read it."

"Are you sure you didn't do that? I mean... Harry's smart enough to put it back the way he found it so you wouldn't know he's been looking through your stuff. He's a smart man."

"Maybe he was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention this time. I don't know."

Louis rubbed his temples with his index and middle fingers. "Okay, let's start with the obvious question. How did it get in the apartment in the first place? Wasn't it sent to your real home?"

"Yeah. But the day I showed it to you at work, I left and went straight to the apartment because Harry and Liam were coming over. So I put it in my drawer and left it there. I completely forgot about it." He covered his face, not wanting to look at anything or anyone. "Ugh, that was so stupid! I know he knows now. And if he doesn't, sooner or later he's going to put the pieces together and find out who I really am. Then what?"

Louis pat his back. "You know... If you really want to find out if he knows, you should ask questions to see if and what he knows."

"He does know. In that letter, she asks about the business, the corporation, me... There's no way he doesn't know. This is a nightmare."

"You're not listening to me. You never do and it's exactly why you're in this predicament now. So for once, can you do that?"

Zayn sighed. "Fine. What sort of questions should I ask?"