Part 24

Zayn had been sprawled out on the couch and staring blankly into space when the doorbell rang. He groaned because right now, he didn't feel like getting up to answer it. It was probably no one other than Louis and he didn't want to see him right now. Even if he did choose to lie there, Louis would send him a text or a call after the first ring anyway.

However, instead of getting a notification on his cellphone, the doorbell rang again. So it wasn't Louis. It was someone else. But who?

Zayn was only in boxers, a T-shirt and a pair of socks. So he wasn't exactly presentable to answer the door. But he still got up and made his way there, figuring that he'd peek through the peephole first and if this person looked important, he'd have to ask them to wait outside while he changed into something more appropriate. Once he got to the door, he was hoping it was some immature person who rang it and ran away. But it scared the living daylight out of him when he peeked out and the figure he saw looked a lot like Harry's.

But it couldn't be...

He carefully unlocked the door, wishing it had been anybody out there but him, then swung it open quickly.

"Harry?" He gasped out his name. "What are you doing here?"

But Harry didn't answer his question. Instead, he walked into Zayn's house with an almost frantic tone. "I can't do this anymore. I hate it."

Zayn closed the door but didn't lock it. "Do what?"

He followed Harry into the living room. "I'm fucking up, Zayn. Everything I do. And you don't even know."

"Okay."

Harry paused. "I don't know what to do." His eyes watered and he began talking with his hands. "I can't eat. I can't sleep. I can't concentrate... I can't do anything right. I can't even remember how to deal with my own son without being a bad father to him. And sometimes he looks at me like... like he's scared."

Suddenly he pointed angrily at Zayn "Because of you."

"Me?"

"Yeah, you! You're the reason he's scared. You ditched us and this is all your fault."

"Now, wait a minute!" Zayn would accept that he lied and ruined their relationship. But he would not stand there and take blame for his parenting after the breakup. "You are the one who said you just wanted to pretend like we never had anything, that we were meant to come and go in each other's lives! You're the one who said it. Not me. And if all you were gonna do was come over here and blame me, then you can leave!"

Zayn pointed toward the doorway and Harry seemed to get even angrier at the gesture. "You need to use your fucking brain, Zayn! It's what people say when they're angry. I didn't mean that shit."

Zayn folded his arms. "But you were thinking it because people only say what's already been on their mind."

"That's not the truth. I was just pissed that you'd do something like that because you were manipulative. I mean... You fucking lied to me. What was I supposed to do?!"

"You were supposed to listen! But you never did that!" Zayn retaliated.

"Listen?! To what?! How you went through all the trouble of deceiving me? How you went out and bought an apartment and furniture and put all those stupid little pictures of you there, that probably aren't even real?"

Now Zayn couldn't believe he'd gone as far as calling the pictures of him stupid. "Those weren't stupid, you asshole! They were real!"

Harry chuckled. "Real. Do you even know what the definition of that word is? Real isn't the shit you did to us. That's not what real is. If you really liked us the way you claim you did, you would have come by and at least attempted to show me and Liam just how much you missed us. But you didn't."