CH 44 || Tainted Memories

Saavi

******

I was back in that dungeon where I had seen my life turning into hell, where I had felt every gut-wrenching emotion, where I had witnessed the atrocious deeds of the devil.

The door creaked opened revealing one of the people I loathed the most.

'How are you, little bird?' he asked caressing my hair.

Swatting away his hand I yelled, 'You are a devil.'

'That I am.' he replied and started laughing.

I was wondering how could someone be so cruel when he shouted, "Bring her in."

As the two guards brought the one person I had come to trust I was shocked to the core.

"Melinda." my voice came out as a whisper.

"Yes, little bird. Your dear Melinda."

"No, please don't."

"Sorry, little bird I have to."

******

'No, ple..please...Mel...Melinda...No,please,stop...stop.'

"Saavi, open your eyes. Saavi." someone called my name loudly and I opened my eyes breathing heavily. I saw Smita Aunty looking at me with concern.

Hugging me Aunty said, "It's fine, sweetie. It's fine. It was just a nightmare."

I didn't realize I was crying until she said, "Don't cry. You are gonna be fine. No will hurt you."

Telling soothing words to me she made me lie down. I was scared to close my eyes yet I did otherwise Aunty wouldn't have slept.

My peace and comfort were gone. I had distanced myself from the one person who was my home.

I woke up the next morning and found Aunty was not beside me. I looked at the time and it was 7:30 a.m.

As I was getting down of the bed someone knocked on the door.

"Come in," I said.

"Good Morning." Dhriti entered with a cheerful smile.

"Good Morning."

"I came to call you for breakfast."

I told her I would be there in a few minutes. After taking a shower and getting ready I went down with Dhriti where Dhriti's grandpa, Ashok uncle, Kiaan, Namit, and Aunty were already waiting for us.

"How are you feeling dear?" Ashok Uncle asked when both Dhriti and I settled ourselves.

"Fine."

"Dhriti, where is your brother?" grandpa asked and I felt his tone was filled with slight anger.

"He left."

"Left?"

"Yeah. He said he had an important meeting." Dhriti replied gazing at her plate.

It was quite evident from Dhriti's words that Dhruv was avoiding me and had left early making an excuse for a meeting.

"When did he come home last night?" grandfather had asked but everyone remained quiet. Kiaan, Namit, and Dhriti shared a glance look but didn't utter a word.