Chapter 65

Anastasia POV;

My temples are throbbing. The moment I open my eyes, I squeeze them shut against the glare of the lights. While attempting to nurse my eyes into agreement with the light, I do a mental assessment; the inside of my thighs hurt, my feet aren't happy, and my head feels like a nuclear explosion. It's no good, my eyes weren't co-operating, instead I make to sit up and discover more aches and pains in the process, my ribs adding to the list. My feet I could understand, last night cemented dancing in heels as equal to walking on red coals, but why did my inner thighs hurt? My ribs? Yanking my eyes open, I sit up with a groan with my eyes watering from the blinding light before gradually adjusting. What was I doing in the medical center?

"Be careful Ana. Try not to sit up too quickly," says Rick at my side, helping me sit up more steadily.

"Surely I didn't drink enough to comatose myself into the medical center?" I ask, appalled. My mind races with dread.

"No Ana, you're here because you were attacked last night. Hit from behind, you've had to have stitches. You have bruises on the tops of your arms and, erm... all up your thighs-"

"Was I...?" I couldn't finish the question, the onslaught of panic and bile rising in my mouth wouldn't allow it. I couldn't think the word, the very idea that someone might have violated me that way, I just couldn't... and that Rick and god knows how many others of my pack members might know about it.

"No." I breathe out the relief, hurting my ribs in the process. Noticing my wince, Rick explains "Anya says your ribs are bruised. You're to spend the rest of the night here, she's forbidden all visitors, she only let me stay because I brought you in, and I needed stitches" he laughs mirthlessly.

"What happened?" I demand.

His shoulders drop he falls to his knees, ashamed and submissive. "I honestly don't know Prowess. I'm so sorry, you left to go to the perimeter, and the next thing I know I'm being told by Mr. Sayers you've been attacked. The King, Mr. Sayers and Mr. Jones distracted Prince Kellen enough for me to be able to get you here. I've never faced anything so ferocious, if it weren't for the King, your Prince would've torn me apart." He lifts his bandaged arm in explanation.

"The King was involved?!" The room starts to spin, my head throbs so painfully my eyes begin watering.

"Yes Ma'am" he says rising to his feet. "The King forbade further involvement, Mr. Sayers and Mr. Jones are handling the investigation into the events now. There's more but that's enough for tonight ma'am. At this rate, Anya will want my balls for Christmas decorations, I've overstayed my welcome." He pauses at the door, "Goodnight, Prowess."