Chapter 85

Kellen POV:

Dad and I enter the clearing. The moon illuminates our arena as we walk to the centre. We have deliberately arrived ten minutes early to allow our pack members and their packs to move into place. To human eyes and ears, all would appear quiet, peaceful, and relatively un-disturbed. To our werewolf ears however, our movements are painfully loud – the panting of excited breaths between the trees, the rustle of paws stepping on fallen leaves as everyone takes their places. As movement ceases, the silence of anticipation descends, like someone pushing the 'mute' button.

We wait. Nothing moves; no wind exists to create movement, no nightlife to make noise, only the bright glow of the moon. I scan the trees wondering if Ana hid among them with her pack. Ana...pregnant... in the trees...so close... so close to chaos. My wolf's hackles rise, raising the hairs on my arms, I struggle to focus and retain my control, thoughts of Ana and our conversation invade my mind. Pregnant... The word bounces around my human and wolf mind alike, causing havoc to whatever parts of my brain it touches, a catalyst invoking a chain reaction of primal responses. My shaky grip on staying human slips through my fingers, my wolf explodes forward bursting from me in a warning growl. I fall to my knees, engulfed in pain I haven't known since my first transformation at thirteen years; every muscle in my body ripples, shuddering, retracting in submission to something stronger, expanding, filling with fire. I panic; my form doesn't settle after the usual few seconds it takes to change. I keep growing in size.... I mentally reach out to my father for support only to read the shock in his mind as he watches at distance. I see the terrifying beast I am becoming take shape in his eyes. Everything burns, a sensation only familiar from the time I tried to deny my wolf mating Ana in heat. My new form ripples into place, now three times my normal size – my teeth razor sharp, pricking the inside of my mouth, the metallic rusty taste of blood filling my mouth. Strings of my clothes litter the air, falling at my feet.

I howl to the moon, satisfied that the sound echoes for miles and miles, a warning to all. I bolt, needing release and submission from everyone in the trees. My wolf demands recognition of superior authority... Whether Ana is in the trees or not is almost irrelevant, she is somewhere and carrying our child. My wolf searches for her smell as I pace the tree line, despite my abnormally heightened senses, I cannot smell her. A small comfort at least.

My life purpose is to protect them both. Devon won't get near her as long as I live. Re-focusing my thoughts, I trot back to my father's side, dwarfing him in my shadow.

I scowl at the opposing tree line with impatience. Shifting my weight, I microscopically analyse the tree line for the threat my mouth waters with yearning to sink into. Minutes pass, midnight comes and goes with no sign of Alpha Devon. I growl, clenching my teeth – Dad's warm hand brushes across the fur between my shoulder blades.

"Patience, son." Murmurs Dad. This may all be part of his plan, and punctuality has never been a strong suit of Alpha Devon. He adds mentally. His background thoughts wish to pry into the cause of my change but his sense warns it would be unwise.

"Now now, Kellen. Listen to Daddy. Don't do anything rash." Taunts Devon, his voice bouncing through the trees. Moments later, his pale face stands out amongst the trees as he appears between them, clad completely in black.