Chapter 16

Anastasia POV;

It was Wednesday; four days since I'd last spoken to Kellen and my wolf was longing to be with him, to speak to him at the very least yet I stayed away. We hadn't spoken since Saturday with his family; their question about meeting my pack, though not a surprise, still jolted me to reality. The upside to today was that my pack was to be checked beginning at 12noon. I'd spoken to them about their training, their behaviour and felt my pride and confidence in them rise higher than ever before.

The time was 11.45am and I was joined to the pack mind, overseeing their preparations, I felt assured that my pack could do no wrong. Make me proud boys. I'll connect to you again once the check has been completed, ring me by phone or use the emergency connection if you really need me. I spoke firmly before leaving the pack mind as they went to greet the Royals.

Luckily I had managed to avoid any more encounters with our unwelcome visitors since our last argument and I was hoping to keep it that way. For the rest of the day I occupied myself playing games with the kids, my mind every now and then returning to my pack and what's more, my mate! He was going to be checking my pack and he wasn't even aware of it, which fuelled the reasons behind my staying away; I knew that he, my pack and myself would be protected while they remained in the dark.

The day dragged into night and my sleep that night was unsettling...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning I was up early and speaking to Rick through our mind connection. So how's it going? I ask trying to hide my mild agitation from the tone of my thoughts.

It's going great! The Royals were disappointed at not being able to meet you but they completely understood your absence and send their strong wishes for your father's healthy recovery as soon as possible. With regards to the pack, they are impressed with our financials, training regime and thoroughly admire the way we run as pack. He spoke proudly. By the way, they said they were honored that we were trying to clean all the pictures of the pack for their arrival, he laughed mischievously. You really have taken all the precautions to avoid him finding out who you are or what you look like. He laughs again - admiringly this time.

It's for the safety of all, Rick. I answer uneasily. One of my precautions in ensuring the Royals remained in the dark about my identity was that I had taken down all the pack pictures and put them in my study. This prevented them knowing what I looked like and to avoid them thinking more into it, Rick had been ordered to tell the Royals that it was because we wanted them cleaned before their arrival. This was also the excuse I'd given the rest of the pack; I could only pray that my pack understood my reasoning for all of this. Also, I had Rick hide my scent around the house by locking my study and subtly masking my scent with other smells.

I know, Ana. He replies reassuringly. You don't need to explain anything to me; I get it. Any mated person in your position probably would too.

Thanks again Rick, do you think the pack will understand? I murmur.

Ana, we follow you through whatever choices you make. You are the Prowess and leader of our pack, of course they will understand! It's hard not to when you have solid reasoning. He spoke firmly, washing away my doubts.

How is he? I ask uncertainly changing the subject.

Your Prince is good, nice guy! I approve, he says cheekily to which I mentally roll my eyes but smile at nevertheless. He's really focused on his duty, not letting himself be distracted. Though I'd say- from being more informed - that he's distracting himself. Nix asked him about his mate, despite the look I gave him for it; your Prince answered vaguely, can't say I blame him. Bet that wasn't the first time he's been asked about you. Poor guy. He mentally rolls his eyes, shaking his head sympathetically. Staying quiet I absorb this thoughtfully; at least I wasn't the only one trying to distract myself. Anyway Prowess, gonna start on catering for them before they head off at noon, speak to you later. After saying my farewells, I quickly glance at the clock; 11am, the Royals would leave at 12. I sat at the kitchen table thinking this through and what my next moves would be for a long while when my Mum popped her head around the kitchen door.

"Ana sweetheart, your father would like to talk to you." Says Mum gently.

"Ok I'm coming." I return, grabbing my tea and following her upstairs to their bedroom.

Upon entering the room I'm instantly greeted by my father's contagious youthful grin; my mother went instantly to his side and caught the grin also. "My favourite Prowess!" My father's voice booms despite its croaky nature.

"Hey Dad." I smile, closing the door behind me. I could smell the unwelcome visitors were back but they weren't in the room so I reined my momentary anger by channeling it into keeping my composure. "What's up?" I inquire taking a seat in the chair positioned at the end of his bed, facing him directly.

"Pah! I don't want to start with the heavy stuff, tell me about the pack. When are they being checked?" He asks lightly. A feeling told me that there was an ulterior motive behind his question, though I chose not to look into it and remain calmly composed.

Pursing my lips "They were checked yesterday," I tell him quietly, my gaze never leaving my father's. His expression falters a little to show a sign of worry before resuming his smiling.

"The Royals are still with them then?" His voice now held a slightly cautious tone, which did not escape my attention. I frown not understanding where he was going with this. Checking my watch briefly it read 11.55am, flicking my gaze back Dad, I answer indifferently; that the Royals would indeed still be with my pack. "What time do they leave?" He continues imploringly.

"What's this really about Dad?" I ask impatiently; trying to contain my annoyance at his tiptoeing around what he really wanted to talk about, while next to him Mum says nothing. Instead of answering me, he merely repeats the question.

"Noon. They leave at noon." My father's whole body language immediately changes at my answer; his face pales considerably, his breath becomes shaky and his gaze became blank. Instantly I was by his side asking what was wrong; in the same instant James and his back ups had entered the room wearing the same expression my father now wore.

Just as I was about to demand he leave, he began speaking urgently, "You need to contact your pack immediately. I've been trying to tell you all week Ana! There's going to be an attack on your Royals, the Prince in particularly." I froze, before using an amount of authority that made the whole room shudder and demand he tell me everything he knew. "You pack's location is closest to the south border; north and south rogues are going to attack your royals in the hope of starting a war. They've been waiting for your pack to be checked and will strike when they leave your pack house because they know the security won't be as tight now that they're nearer home; with the Prince without his mate, his wolf wont be able to fight! You need to contact your pack and tell them." He rushes desperately.

"They already know. I need to get there NOW!" Having opened the emergency connection after demanding to know everything, they had heard the whole thing. Tell me the Royals are still with you. I demand, my authority making them shrink under it. TELL ME!

They left 5minutes ago. Rick answers hollowly and I watch through his eyes as he gives the orders to find the Royals immediately, knowing I wouldn't have given the order so lightly. "The Royals aren't with them, they already left. I'm going after them." I announce just as I was leaving the room, but Mum caught my arm.

Rick contact the nearby pack's and tell them what's going on, if the north and south have teamed up, you'll need as much help as you can get. I'll try and get there as soon as I can. I ordered before closing my private connection with him.

"Sweetheart there is nothing you can do, you won't reach them in time. The only thing we can do is hope his mate finds him before the rogues do." Reasons Mum quickly.

"I am his mate, Mum!" With that I snatched back my arm from her grasp and take off out the door in a frantic sprint, aware James and his back-ups were following, though too preoccurpied to care.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone! How are we all? :D

Have now finished my exams *sighs with relief* but I'll be shaking like a leaf when results day comes! :(

Anyway! I'm all yours now so expect more uploads! So, what do you think of the story so far? COMMENT & VOTE pleaseee