Chapter 50

Brody POV;

Jeez, things were amess, Brody contemplated as he considered the last few days. He currently sat in a conspicuous café on the other side of town, waiting for the Prowess to join him. His thoughts turned to Kellen who remained shut off from everything but his royal duties; Brody couldn't understand why Kellen was being so naïve about everything. He could see why Kellen was reacting this way, yet no matter how many times he tried to talk him into believing his worries unnecessary, Kellen just couldn't see it that way. The 'talk' the King had with Kellen about his manwhore behaviour when it came to light had effected Kellen more than anybody seemed to realise, and now it was affecting Kellen's relationship.

For the last week, Brody had been the only one Kellen would let in to talk to about the whole situation; Kellen and Ana weren't currently speaking, although Brody knew this to be as a result of how busy Ana was with her Prowess duties, Kellen assumed it to be a consequence of their argument and her supposed cheating. How different did Brody see the situation – then again, Brody knew himself to be more informed due to the difference between his and Kellen's positions. As Head of Royal Security, Brody was privy to information about all the packs while Kellen could only know about the ones he and Maxim were currently working with.

Ana's pack stayed one of few actually managing to keep up with the deadlines, and Brody wanted to bet that it was at great personal strain to Ana – especially since his royal guards had reported an increase in rogue activity around the south facing sides. All of this in mind, he'd been surprised when his invitation to coffee had been accepted yet here he sat, waiting. Brody wished he could help repair the rift between Kellen and Ana but as Kari had pointed out, it wasn't his place to do so. Kari...how incredible she is, thought Brody recounting everything he loved about her – there remained no fault. She continued in perfection... again, Brody wondered at how Kellen could behave so irrationally where his mate were involved...

Heads turned and the volume hushed as the Prowess entered the room; in that instance Brody could see where Bell's fangirling came from – not that he currently experienced the same feeling, but he had to admit her composure was something else; looking every inch the professional in her smart casual attire, the Prowess cultivated a different kind of respect. Brody couldn't put his finger exactly on what it was, he examined her expression extensively but there were no clues to suggest what might really be going on with her– you wouldn't have thought by looking at Ana that anything were the matter, it made the desire to know what went on behind her closed doors that much stronger. He could now perfectly well understand why Bell and many others followed the Prowess's activities so closely; all were trying to look past the mask of composure.

Snapping out of his musings, Brody rose as Ana approached their table, bowing aside, they seated themselves and set about ordering. In his mind, Brody rehearsed all that he wanted to say for/on Kellen's behaviour – setting aside his menu, he took a breath to prepare himself. "Don't bother," Spoke Ana indifferently, still perusing the menu.

"Pardon?"

"Whatever you're about to say about Kellen, I don't want to hear it. I'm not interested in hearing any kind of explanations or excuses, so please– save your breath." For a moment, he just stares at her speechless. Glancing up, Ana smirks then motions for the waiter. After placing their orders, he tries again for conversation;

"You know, I was surprised you accepted my invitation – considering how busy you are. I feel privileged." Smirks Brody, nodding to her phone which had been none stop ringing since they'd sat down.

"I make time for those who need it."

"And Kellen isn't one of them?" He couldn't help asking. Brody could easily see how Kellen was wrong in this, but he also couldn't help feeling that perhaps Ana might be as well; if Ana could make time for those who needed it then why wasn't she putting effort into her relationship with Kellen? The sound of Ana's phone ringing once again interrupts his thoughts.

"Prowess speaking," Politely trying not to listen, Brody's curiosity grows when Ana's eyes land on him, her conversation catching his attention."Good. I'm with him right now – whose territory? Okay, I'll have them brought over. Twenty minutes? Perfect. See you then." Hanging up, he stares at her expectantly – intrigued what would happen next. "After coffee, I'd like you to accompany me to a meeting. Would you mind?"

"Not at all." He refrains from asking the questions he wants to, something in Ana's expression warns him against it. Meeting in mind, they both finish their drinks and take Ana's car to the next destination, which she announces to be Alpha Almounds. Pulling up in front of the Alpha's pack house, Alpha Almound meets them in the lobby.

"Prowess. Mr Sayers, we're very grateful you could make it. Thank you for sparing the time." He greets, bowing.

"Not at all, Alpha. If you'd like to lead the way?" Gestures Brody, his professional side taking over. Once lead to his office, they're shown through a door at the back of the room and down a set of stair into an underground meeting room – several maps with red dots and markings decorate the walls, while also waiting for them is Alpha Chad Riggs. Brody couldn't help paying attention to Riggs and Ana's behaviour towards each other – he too wanted to see if there was any truth to Kellen's assumptions. "Alpha."

"Mr Sayers, its an honour. Thank you for coming," They shake hands before Brody turns his attention to the walls of paper behind them."Prowess, care to do the explaining?" Suggests Alpha Riggs.

"Of course. Mr Sayers, I'm sure you have already been informed about the increased rogue activity on the south facing packs, yes?" Brody nods, "but the problem is far bigger than you are probably aware. There have been consistent attacks on each of our packs – it started with Alpha Riggs pack and my own, hence our hasty departure from the Alpha meeting – it was only more recently that they took to attacking Alpha Almounds pack also. We have each of us had to co-ordinate very closely with each other to avoid our packs fighting when working in such close proximity to each other, as the maps behind will show."

It clicked. The photos of Ana and Alpha Riggs sent to Kellen, they were deliberately sent to be misinterpreted. "Why am I only being informed of this now?" He look between the three of them with narrowed eyes.

"Mr Sayers, we've had to work extremely hard on these movement to make sure they are precise and accurate, its a very delicate situation – one wrong move and both our packs and their inhabitants are in danger, we've only just managed to find middle ground. Had we found it sooner, you would have been informed," explains Alpha Almound, motioning to the maps.

"The Royal in charge of your packs, Queen Maryanne, must be informed. I will provide man power wherever it is needed within your packs, but I must caution that there seems to be more going on here. Information sent to the palace has alerted me that you may all be being watched – Particularly you, Prowess." Pulling the photos he'd finally managed to prise from Kellen, he hands her the envelope. While she examines the contents, he focuses back on the maps - "Now, if you could talk me through these movements, I want to know exactly what's been done, needs doing and are currently issues."

"Of course," begins Alpha Riggs, stepping up to the boards.

"Gentleman, if you'll please excuse me – I have another meeting I must attend. Mr Sayers, may I keep these for the time being?" Brody nod, curious as to what she wanted them for – her expression certainly doesn't give anything away. "Thank you. If any of you need me, you know how to get hold of me," bowing, she takes leave – after a moment, Brody recalls his new focus and turns back to the other Alphas as they begin explaining.

This just got a whole lot more complicated!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so I hope this makes up for the shortness of the last one. I did explain that the last chapter was for dramatic effect and perspective, none the less it was necessary. I'm trying to keep up but it's difficult, so please have patience and as always, thank you so so so much for your support!

COMMENTS & VOTES please!

Much love all! You're amazing!! <3