Chapter 48

Anastasia POV;

(Photo of Ana's dress for the ball at the top!)

I couldn't remember ever feeling as stressed as I did in the month leading up to the ball. Things with Kellen were tense, mypack was on edge due to the regular attacks happening on our boarders with Alpha Riggs' pack and along side this we had to hit the policy deadlines. The attacks were my main concern – the first had happened while I'd been in the Alpha meeting, a rogue had been dancing up the boarder line between our packs and both sides of pack members had been attempting to attack the rogue but it managed to move out of the way just in time, causing our pack members to attack each other. Since this had happened, Chad and I had been working closely together to choreograph our packs movements so as to avoid another such fight – this required much more attention than either of us were prepared for, especially as this kind of rogue activity became frequent - it was all a diversionary tactic while other rogues would attack from different sides of our territories. Our packs working closely together was essential to the protection of our territories and their inhabitants.

With this being the foremost problem, meeting deadlines became difficult – monitoring pack activity, supervising the builds of the new pack housing to ensure they went up on time, checking all the pack paperwork being sent had no mistakes and doublechecking all the financial figures for our grants were correct, as well as co-ordinating with the other Alpha's for the transfer of soon to be pack members meant I often worked late into the night/earlymorning. My relationship with Kellen had to take a back-seat, when I wasn't busy dealing with pack matters, I was arguing with him about the state of our relationship – why couldn't he understand that 'we' have no foundation in the current circumstances? He didn't trust to confide in me and I couldn't trust him when he was keeping things from me. I wish I could just tell him about what was going on but his royal position made it inappropriate. Rick and Chanel were my confidantes, but even them I couldn't tell about my problems with Kellen – it was our relationship and we had to fix it between ourselves.

Chanel managed to hide the bags under my eyes for the ball and make me look quiet fierce – smoky eyes, mussed wavy hairall working well with the graceful, complimentary grey dress Mum had made me. It made me feel better to have my family arrive the week before the ball, I had been concerned they might be targeted by rogues, what with them living on the south side – so far though, my worries remained unfounded. My family offered a reassurance that didn't need words – having Kara and Tyron around relaxed me and I made the utmost effort to spend time with them, even if it did mean getting a little less sleep. My parents, however, seeing through my expression and straight to the sources of my stress insisted on helping and would not take no for an answer – consequently my Dad,under Vince's watchful eye for any dangers to his health and with his assistance, managed the accommodation builds, while Mum took over the pack cooking and chores with Anya in order to free up a few more of my pack members. Although my parents didn't know exactly what the issues were within my pack nor did they ask, they worked in harmony with my pack for the duration of their stay.

Tonight, the ball is my focus; I'd spent the day memorising the names of all my new pack members so as to make a good impression, because despite the problems we currently had – I needed everyone to feel safe. I'd put myself in the firing range to ensure this. Although my mind remained very much intent on the ball, my emotional hopes were on Kellen – we'd agreed to talk at the end of the night and I very much wanted to clear the air with him, for us to have an honest conversation...

Upon arrival, I took to meeting and greeting all my soon to be packs members, conversing with the other Alphas and making sure everyone was having a good time – internally, my impatience grew for Kellen's arrival and my heart soon leapt at the announcement forhis entrance. I waited, rather than go straight to him since he might also have duties to see to before I could see him.