Chapter 20

Anastasia POV;

Trapped in the darkness of my own mind, I was distantly aware that I was being carried. In the haze of darkness my pack were in frenzy; upon being attacked, they felt echoes of my pain. At first they were shocked, taken by surprise at realizing it was me who'd been attacked, however any further thinking was ended by Rick's instant command to protect me and get me out of there.

Stay with us Ana. Came Vince's plea in my mind, backed by Mick's worries. Exhausted from fighting and aching pain radiating all over my body, I struggle to hold back the darkness and eventually let it consume me again.

Pulled back to consciousness again by sharp pains in my arm, "Arghhhhhhhh!" I gasp trying to sit up but finding myself pushed back down.

"Shh, it's okay Ana baby, it's only me." Spoke a gentle voice. Fluttering my eyes open I'm met by bright light, a moment later my Mum's face coming into focus as her soft touch soothes my hair.

Gritting my teeth, I try to contain and handle the pain as Mum works effortlessly tending to my injuries, with it registering momentarily in my mind that I currently lay on the kitchen table in my parent's house. My strong hearing caught the sounds of restless pacing about the house, in my mind I felt the anxious presence of my pack; I quickly shut them off from my pain.

This attack on my human form had been much worse than James's to be sure; my body struggled tiredly. "Chanel, there is a pack of herbs in the corner cupboard, a pestle and mortar in the cupboard down there and lemon juice in there. I need you to mix the herbs and lemon juice into a fine paste using the pestle and mortar." Commanded Mum. My breathing sounded ragged and broken as my body writhed under the overwhelming sharpness of my injuries. It reassured me to have Chanel here; I knew Rick would have sent her to update him and the pack on my condition. "I also need the small green bottle in that cabinet there please."

Prying of my jacket carefully, Mum proceeded to cut off my vest before her cool fingers began inspecting every inch of my exposed skin. "How bad Claire?" I caught Chanel's barely audible shaky voice.

"It's severe but there is nothing here I can't repair. However Ana will need at least a month recovery time; wolf attacks in human form take much longer to heal." Murmured Mum. "Ana sweetie, can you hear me?"

"Y-yes" I choke out with difficultly. My body shook uncontrollably in its state of shock.

"Good girl. Now this is going to sting." Spoke Mum before dabbing something onto my ribs. It felt as if someone had just set my ribs on fire, but it didn't stop there as Mum continued to dab my other injuries. Grinding my teeth, I struggle to contain my cries, my eyes watering at the burning sensation coursing through my upper body. Chanel did her best to comfort me by holding the hand of my uninjured arm and stroking my hair softly, every now and then muttering calming words of reassurance.

Mum worked silently, concentrating on the task at hand and every so often asking Chanel to pass or do something for her. Mum had taken courses in medical care upon Dad's falling ill; she'd been trained in all areas of medicine and had qualified as a nurse and carer. Time seemed to drag out; throughout the tiring process, my efforts went into containing my pain and keeping as silent as possible. I didn't want either my family or pack to be tortured by my cries, it would be unfair to them and I didn't want them enduring what I was going through. Kellen persistently reached out to me but to shield him, like my pack, from feeling my pain too I shut him out.