"A toast to love and laughter and happily ever after."

With that the jazz band behind him started to play, receiving cheerful shouts. Waiters walked around the large tables, distributing the menu. It didn't take long until everyone fell into their own small talks, eating and drinking. Just enjoying themselves.

Esmé remained still, observing and trying not to drown in her woefulness. Some guests came to her, chatting, congratulating her again and again. She was about to jump and throw a buck but she kept her facade up. 

She was surprised when Jack stood up with shining eyes. She watched his every move, wondering what crossed his mind. Then he grabbed Esmé's hand in his, pulling her from her seat. Her pupils grew wide when he began dragging her towards the dancing crowd of people.

"I-I ca-," She stuttered, bewildered when he ignored her. Jack drew her closer, his hand around her waist, completely taking her off-guard. "I really can't dance," She finally managed to put out. That was the truth. She had two left feet.

"I'll guide you."

Esmé bit down on her lip, nervous as his face was mere inches away from hers. This wouldn't end well. She felt her cheeks heat up when he started to sway them with the rhythm. A jazzy piece had played moments ago. How come they had switched to something slow this quick? Esmé avoided Jack's eyes as he moved closer to her - if that was even possible.

"Loosen up." His hand travelled up to lift her chin. "We'll take slow steps." His words caused her heart to ache. "I won't do anything you don't want to." Her eyes met his.

"I promise," He assured her, making her smile lightly in response.

"Thank you," Esmé hummed and they fell into silence again. Slowly, they swung to the music.

"Do you remember what you told me when we were little?" She noticed the sorrow in his voice, tilting her head to the side. Esmé knew nothing of what he had done with the old Esmé.

When Jack noticed that she wouldn't answer, he continued, "I told you, I liked you." His cheeks flared up, a shy smile on his lips. "And you didn't even bother. Just like right now."

"What did I tell you then?"

"You said, you wouldn't like me back." He glanced at her, hoping for a sign but Esmé wouldn't give him any - no matter how much sympathy she felt for him. "Not in a hundred years, you said."

Esmé exhaled deeply before snickering. Jack continued to talk as if trying to clear his mind,

"I know that you don't love me, Esmé." He closed his eyes, his movements slowing down. "I know you never did. You marry me because your father told you to. I believed that I had found a way to make you accept me during the last months. You were nice to me and that day - when you kissed me-" He stopped, sighing.

Esmé bit down on her lower lip. She had no idea how intimate he had been with her.

"I thought, I had you. I thought that you started to like me but then-" His dark eyes locked on hers. "We met again and you were completely different - as if you're a completely new person. When you told me that you want to postpone the engagement, everything came down crashing on me."

Esmé sensed how her facade faltered, commiserating with him. He was a poor lover.

"I don't know what I did wrong for you to-"

"Nothing," She cut him off, unable to listen to him any further. "You did nothing wrong, Jack. You're a gentle, handsome man." His face lit up, "But unfortunate events happened and-"