The Winstons worked with her father on attire for the military, mainly on the protective clothing underneath. They were a wealthy family that was well known in London. And Jack was their only son.

"Thank you," Esmé mumbled, turning her attention to Jack who had finally sat down next to her. She noticed the black-haired man next to him, who watched her intensely with a wide grin. Lots of new faces.

"Finally we get to meet," He held out his hand, reaching over Jack. She shook his hand with a questioning look when Jack chuckled.

"This is-" Jack was cut off as the man decided to introduce himself,

"Thomas Lester, my Lady," He grinned and Esmé noticed the two golden teeth shining. "I'm Jack's closest friend."

"How come he never told me about you?"

"I don't know," Thomas hit the back of Jack's head playfully, snickering, "Maybe he was scared that I'd steal you away." He winked at Esmé.

"Nonsense, I was always the more charming one," Jack said defensively, staring intensely at Esmé. He was the more handsome one that was for sure. She smiled at him, watching him ease.

"No, mate." Thomas sighed, "You're the nice one out of us. But ladies don't like nice guys. They often fall for the other one." He smirked, his eyes never leaving Esmé, waiting for her reaction, "But she's different. The first one to appreciate your kind nature."

She chuckled, seeing Jack's cheeks turn a slight pink. He didn't seem like the man to be easily flustered.

Esmé didn't know what to think of Jack's friend yet but Thomas' presence was enjoyable, he wound up the tension in the air. He asked one of the waiters for some champagne. They clinked their glasses and Esmé tried to loosen up. But her eyes searched for Leslie or Charlotte. Having them around gave her some sort of comfort. She spotted Leslie standing in front of the door to the kitchen with her mother. Charlotte was next to them.

"Can I get everyone's attention, please?" Esmé turned her head to the voice. It was Mr Schubert with his thick German accent. He tapped against the glass in his hands and waited for the people to fall in silence. He gestured to Alder Benson for everyone to listen.

Esmé's father nodded at her with a smile tucking at the corners' of his lips. But she tried to avoid his gaze, not wanting to get provoked by him. If this had happened in her world, she would have strutted out already.

Robert Winston had stood up, walking next to her father to shake hands with him - both more satisfied than ever.

"Welcome everyone," Her father began, "I'm happy to see you here tonight and to share this great news with you. Thank you for coming here to celebrate the engagement of Jack Winston and my beautiful Esmeralda Rosé Benson. Special thanks to Sir Colonel Benedict White for taking your time and being here," Esmé's thoughts drifted away as Alder continued to thank each member of the military that was present as the lieutenant colonel he was.

She felt how Jack's hands traced her hers under the table, engulfing it as he gleamed at her with a bright smile. She bit the inside of her cheek, hoping her misery didn't show on her face. She tightened the hold, trying to play along as she remembered Dean's words. You should at least try to act. 

Thinking of devil, she spotted him standing near Leslie - his eyes fixed on her father, clueless to Esmé watching him. His head rested against the wall, his expression unreadable.

"I want us all to enjoy tonight to its fullest. Here's to you, my princess," Esmé's eyes locked with her father's sincere ones again. She smiled slightly, trying not to break his stare, "who doubles my joys." He raised his glass, the guests following his gestures with calls of glee.