Chapter 4: The Football Game

-Kira-

Turns out Aaron is also taking AP Biology and we have the same period. But he has football friends in that class, and he sit in the back, so I never see him. He talks to me occasionally in Homeroom, but nothing more than small talk. It's Friday, we play Hartfield Highschool tonight. According to Aaron this morning, it will e an easy win.

The stands are packed with students and families, and it was quite the exciting game, I have to say. Aaron explained to me how football works, so I actually enjoy the games now. Well, at least when I can see what happens. Which is almost never. I'm 5', and the cheerleaders stand behind the football players. So, it can be hard to see the game sometimes. We do stand on crates when we're not cheering, so that helps.

We won, with a final score of 41-20. The students went crazy, we've never won with that high of a score in a long time. After the game I wait outside with Lauren, Shania, and Jammie. We're going to ihop and Lauren wanted to invite some of the football players. We're standing in the cold, in our uniforms. Shania gave me her old cheer jacket as the new ones haven't arrived yet; it's a little big on me, but that's fine.

A couple of the football players walk out from the locker room. They changed into their sweats, thank goodness cause their uniforms smell after games.

"What's up ladies? How'd we play?" Zane asks. He winks at me.

"You guys were fantastic, especially you Aaron. You had some pretty good catches." Lauren said and smiled at him. He smiled back at her.

"Thanks." He said. He looks over at me and smiles. I shyly smile back.

"So, do you guys wanna go to ihop to celebrate?" Shania asks.

"Yes of course!" Max says. I've had to learn the names of most of the football players to know who Lauren is talking about half the time. The girls ride in Laurens car, we get there first.

"Table for 8 please!" Lauren says when we get in. The restaurant is almost empty. We sit at a large table in the back. I sit next to Jammie and Lauren, Shania is next to Lauren on the other side. The boys come in and sit across from us. We order our food, the boys get hug meals, I just ordered a milkshake.

"So, what did you think of the game, short stuff?" Aaron asks, smiling at me. Short stuff? He's never called me that... or smiled at me like that. It's like that flirty smirk that boys do when they... flirt?

"It was really good; you had some good plays Zane." I say. Lauren starts talking about how amazing the boys were, then she decides that we should play a game.

"How about never have I ever?" Jammie suggests.

"Yes! Who wants to go first?" Lauren says. We all put up ten fingers.

"Never have I ever gotten into a car accident." Sam says.

"It was one time." Zane says and laughs while putting down a finger.

"Never have I ever parked in the wrong spot." Aaron says. A couple of us put our fingers down, me included.

"Never have I ever owned a blood thirst cat." Shania says.

"I swear, the cat likes you, he just hasn't warmed up to you." Lauren says and puts down a finger.

"But it did try to kill me." Shaina says and laughs.

"Never have I ever... kissed more than five people." Jammie says. Lauren, Zane, Aaron, and Shania put down a finger.

"Never have I ever... slept with someone older than me." Aaron says. Zane and Max put down a finger. This is getting a little awkward...

"Never have I ever... been kissed." Sam says.

"Dude that's not true." Zane says. Sam laughs and puts down a finger. Everyone puts down a finger except me. Lauren eyes my hands... yeikes I have a lot more up than everyone else.

"Never have I ever... slept with someone." She says. I don't know what to do. I sit frozen in my seat. Do I lie and say I have? Or not lie?

"I have your checks, they've been separated." Our waiter says. OH THANK GOODNESS. Everyone grabs their checks and pays. Shania changed the subject and we talk about the game. But it's too late. Everyone knows. Lauren drives us back to our cars and I drive home. Before I go to bed, I check my phone, I have a text from Shania.

Sorry about never have I ever. Please don't feel embarrassed.

I'm not. Love youuu. I text back. I'm not embarrassed, but I honestly don't know how I feel about the whole thing.

On Monday Aaron walks into homeroom with the same swagger he always has. He sits down and pulls out his phone. I put in my air pods and turn on music, working on some of my History homework.

"Hey" I hear someone whisper. I turn around and it's Aaron.

"Hi." I say. I take out an air pod.

"How was your weekend?" He asks.

"Good." I lie. We found out this weekend that the chemo hasn't been working on my mom. "How was yours?"

"It was ok, coach yelled at us and told us we need to play better, but he always does that."

"Was he not proud? We haven't won with that high of a score in years." I ask.

"He was, but you know coaches, they always want you to do better I guess." He says.

"Oh." I say. I start to turn back around in my seat

"Wait." He says and touches my shoulder. His hand is warm against my cold skin. A shiver runs down my spine. 

"Yeah?" I say and face him again.

"Um... you did great on Friday, with your flying pyramid thing." He says and smiles.

"Thanks." I say. I turn around before he can see me blushing. Why am I blushing?