CHAPTER 14

After ending the call with Aimee, Jazz proceeded to put all her things away, arranging them nicely in her side of the large wardrobe.

"Ronke, can I have my phone?" Kelechi asked. Her dress didn't have any pockets and she wasn't carrying a handbag so she had asked Ronke to keep it in her handbag for her.

"Okay." Ronke dipped her hand into her handbag but only brought out her phone.

"What about my phone?" Kelechi asked again.

"I'm sure I kept it in here," Ronke said and continued to search her handbag. "I can't find it here, let me call the rest and ask if any one of them is perhaps with it."

After series of phone calls, neither of the others admitted to being with or even seeing the phone. Kelechi went crazy with worry and searched the room frantically. She searched Jazz's purse and even under the beds but didn't find the phone. Kelechi was downcast, she had never lost something so expensive before. She was always very careful and mindful of her things. How then did she manage to lose her phone?

"Don't worry Kel, I'm sure we'll find it. Let me just check my bag one more time," Ronke assured her.

"Wait, I remember taking the phone from you to check for any missed calls from the boys when we were at the boutique. Oh no, I must have left it there!" Kelechi said.

"Are you sure that's where you left it?"

"I am very sure, that's where I can remember being with the phone last."

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but how could you be so careless Kel?!" Ronke asked.

"I don't know, I must have forgotten I kept it there before we left."

"This is very bad, and we can't go back there to retrieve it. Not like we'll even find it if we go there, by now someone must have found it and taken it. That phone is old story, just forget about it."

"How can you tell me to forget about it? That phone is very expensive and I know how much I begged my uncle to buy it for me. How will I tell him this?" Kelechi cried.

"He is going to find out sooner or later so why not just tell him before he finds out himself. He loves you and he has money so why won't he buy another one for you," Ronke replied.

"Just because he can afford it doesn't mean I should just misplace my phone anyhow."

"But you didn't misplace it on purpose, it was accidentally so I'm sure your uncle would understand."

"What if he doesn't understand and gets angry at me?"

"It's just a phone and not a million dollar ring, stop getting all worked up for nothing girl," Jazz said.

"I guess you guys are right, it's not like my uncle is going to murder me. The least he can do is scold me or punish me. How bad could it be?" Kelechi said, trying to convince herself.

"Good," Jazz said and went back to what she was doing. She quickly put something into her wardrobe covertly and turned to see Kelechi looking at her. "What?" She asked.

"What was that?"

"What??"

"What you just hid in your wardrobe."

Jazz chuckled. "It's just some of the cool stuff I bought at the mall. Do you want something?" Jazz asked to change the topic.

"No, I just thought there was something secretive about the way you put it in your wardrobe. Anyway, that's none of my business," Kelechi said and went to her bed to sulk over her missing phone.