CHAPTER 27

Students returned back to school as the week-long break came to an end. Most of them didn't seem thrilled about the idea of returning to school, but one particular person was more than thrilled to resume school.

"Hey, do you mind helping me carry my bag?" Kelechi asked Jazz as she lugged her bag across the room.

"Sorry, I don't do hard labour," Jazz deadpanned and continued filing her nails. "It's been so long since I had proper manicure, my babies need some pampering," she commented and kissed her fingers.

"It's so good to be back to school, to see my friends and my beloved teachers," Kelechi chirped.

"Beloved teachers," Jazz scoffed.

"Yeah, you know they play an important role in our lives, they groom us and transform us into what we'll become tomorrow."

"Yep, they're really important," Jazz drawled, a smirk playing on her lips.

"I know you don't mean what you said," Kelechi said lightheartedly and hugged Jazz. "I've missed you so much! I can't believe I forgot to take your number so we could keep in touch."

"It's okay, I had company."

Kelechi smirked. "You mean Mitchel?"

"No, I mean the other girls also participating in the competition. We were asked to stay in the same room so we wouldn't feel lonely in our various rooms. And of course I asked them to come here so yeah, I had company," Jazz said.

"That's good. I hope you didn't give them any trouble?"

"I believe I didn't," Jazz replied, looking at the ceiling. Kelechi laughed.

"So! How has your week been?" Kelechi asked as she unpacked her things.

"Surprisingly, it went...pretty well," Jazz answered with a smile.

"Mmm, is it because Mitchel was here with you?"

"Why do you always link everything I say to Mitchel?" Jazz asked back.

"I don't know, you two have something going on so it's only normal to link him to you."

"Something going on?"

"Don't try to deny it in front of me because I'm already convinced," Kelechi warned her playfully.

Soon they were talking about other things and Jazz told Kelechi about the fun things they did during the week and the special meal enjoyed by her and her team as the winners of the quiz contest. She also told her the quiz contest between the teachers which was supposed to be a friendly one but the teachers had forgotten that part and their reactions were hilarious. Kelechi then recalled how the teachers were supposed to have a friendly football match during the school's inter-house sports competition but it turned out to be 'not so friendly'.

When Jazz asked her how her break went, Kelechi told her about how her uncle, despite knowing the truth about how she lost her phone, still decided to buy a new one for her because he knew she had always been a good girl and did well in her academics. She also delightedly told Jazz how her aunt had taken her shopping with her cousins. She then proceeded to show her new phone and clothes to Jazz who complimented them.

* * *

The rest of the students returned to school the following day being Sunday and the school was once again brimmed with students.

"Why didn't you come back yesterday?" Kelechi asked when she and Jazz were done hugging Ronke.

"Left to me I would not have even come back to school, but I have no choice," Ronke replied dryly and Kelechi chuckled.