CHAPTER 32

"Good morn--"

"Keep quiet and sit down. The assembly has already eaten more than half of my time and we only have one period. Let's quickly go through all the topics we've done," Miss Linda dismissed the class' greeting as she wrote down the date and the subject on the whiteboard.

It was revision week and all the teachers were expected to round up all teachings for the term and revise with the students before exams. The teachers who had lessons right after assembly had to bear the brunt during this period because Mrs William made it a point of duty to encourage the students every assembly to "burn the midnight oil" and refrain from exam malpractice. This was Miss Linda's last class with her government students and she tried her best to signal the principal during assembly but Mrs William was more focused on going on about the rewards of hard work and integrity. Even Mr Nwosu couldn't stop her when she was in the mood.

"Just look at how frustrated Miss Linda is, I'm sure she was looking forward to this class so that she can show off her summarizing skills," Abu whispered to Jazz.

"Nah, I'm sure it's just because she loves her job and is sad because she doesn't have enough time," she responded.

"You two should stop talking or we're going to be on the receiving end of Miss Linda's frustration!" Princess whispered to them.

"But you're also talking," said Abu.

"Care to enlighten us on the little discussion you're having over there?" Miss Linda asked them.

"We were just talking about how frustrating it must be for you to have only ten minutes to--," Jazz started with a smile. Abu and Princess' eyes widened to the size of saucers as well as the entire class and the teacher.

But Princess was quick to act, she nudged Jazz to stop her from talking. "What she means is that it must be frustrating for us to try to learn anything within ten minutes. Not frustrating for you, but for us, that's what she meant," she corrected with a shaky voice.

"So while the class is going on, you are busy entertaining yourselves with unimportant banter." Miss Linda glared at them while still holding the marker to the board.

"No ma, I mean, yes ma. No! I mean, we're sorry ma, we won't do it again," Princess stuttered.

"Yes, you will. Anyway, moving on, we don't have time." Miss Linda turned her attention back to the board.

Princess slapped Jazz on the arm. "What was that for? You almost got us in trouble!"

"You gotta admit, her facial reaction was priceless, yours too!" Jazz chuckled.

"It's not funny."

"It sure is."

"I'm concentrating on the class now," Princess announced and kept a straight face towards the board.

"Why aren't you saying anything? You always have something to say in times like this," Jazz said to Abu.

"I'm keeping a low profile, for now. Miss Linda already doesn't like me so if she should catch me talking, she won't take it lightly with me."

"What on earth is he talking about now?"

"Nothing, ma."

"So you're calling me a liar?"

"No ma."

"Then what were you talking about then? Stand up and tell the class," Miss Linda ordered.

"I told you," Abu whispered to Jazz as he stood up.

"Go on."

"I was just telling Jazz that I don't want to talk so that you won't punish me."

"Then why were you talking?"