| I. Obanai x Reader | Tears for the Wedded [2/5] (AU)

Start from the beginning

"Oh you look so pretty! Tonight's going to be a magical night for you I just know it!!"

I smiled softly at the compliment, my fingers fiddling with the fabric of the dress, unsure of how I should feel about the spaciousness of the top. Peering out the window my eyes caught onto the magnificent silhouette of a wooden carriage. It was a dream that I was here, living a fairy tale, even if it was just for the briefest second in time. 

"Hey..."

Taken aback, I felt a pair of arms wrapped around my stiff form, Mitsuri's head resting on my shoulder.

"I'm really happy that you're willing to do this for me..."

And in an instant I was back to the night I had refused her offer, my candle burnt out and my words empty, I had no inspiration within me, just writing hoping to put money in my pocket again so I needn't to lay with yet another man the next night. And I almost laughed at the realization.

Was my life truly that miserable?

"It's no problem..." I whispered back, my hands shaking.

"I'm sure it'll be fun, and even if not, I can use this experience for a story!"

Lips breaking into a grin, ultimately I wasn't able to return the embrace.

"Well what are we waiting for anymore!" Cheered Mitsuri, and taking my arm within her own, the girl rushed the two of us out the door.

"Tonight's going to be great!"

| At the Rengoku's Estate |

The location was no palace but a mansion was still more than I could have dreamed of. A four story estate with a truly gigantic lawn, actually that word seem too unsophisticated, private field perhaps?

Either way, the very existence of a ballroom within the mansion should give one a good idea of just how wealthy the Rengokus were. And as much as I would have dislike such a place, I was unable to tear my eyes off it. The mere presence of such an opportunity  to observe such a setting up close was one that will surly be useful to me in the future. Though of course, once I had taken note of everything there was, my feet naturally began carrying me to nearest door.

The front entrance would be too eye catching I had decided so I settled for a side door, the windows next to it offering me a view of what looked to be a porch which I was all too interested in. Hand reaching out, I was ready to open this door and be kissed by a cold night breeze, fresh as-

It was locked.

And I must have been in a state of denial or something because I immediately tried again, putting more force down on the handle. It was as if I didn't know how locks function for a minute.

"M'am?"

Flinching at the sound of a voice so close to me, I turned around to meet the stranger's gaze, only to have my breath stolen at the sight of who it was.

"It's locked," the man said plainly, his two-toned eyes baring into me, if not with flat out amusement at my stupidity than surely with scrutinizing curiosity.