Drabble | I. Obanai x Reader | 52 Letters

Where Mitsuri died and the reader one day woke up with her memories additional to her own.

Holy shit I wrote this in one sitting at 12-1am and it's a fucking mess I'm so sorry.

• • •

Mitsuri had received many flowers at her funeral. They were mostly of the traditional whites and yellows, as it was deemed most appropriate, but many had brought with them camellias, symbolizing a noble death and of course.

Love.

It was only fitting for someone like Mitsuri.

Beautiful, strong, loving.

She died protecting others, a kind woman in every sense of the word. Though the poor thing never had the chance to settled down like in her dreams, you would think the heavens would have at least deemed her deserving of that much.

But the heavens were cruel, very much so for choosing someone like Mitsuri to die.

For it left nothing but grief to the person who loved her dearly.

• • •

Iguro Obanai had never felt grief so painful.

The thing laced itself around him like the blood soaked ribbon that was bandages. It choked the man, strangled him, and dug into his skin creating wound,
after wound,
after wound.

It constrained him to a dark place, somewhere filled to the very brim with regret and denial and rage.

Yet even after more than a year since Mitsuri's death, he wasn't able to escape grief's bound, the finale of acceptance never embraced his broken soul and chose instead to hide itself from sight.

There were seven stages of grief and yet he was perpetually trapped in a vicious cycle of the first four.

Shock and denial.
Pain and guilt.
Anger and bargaining.
Depression and reflection.

Shock and denial.
Pain and guilt.
Anger and bargaining-

Denial...

The sakura was especially beautiful the spring she heard you laugh for the first time, Iguro. She was shocked by the sound and joy overtook her, she thought of how you deserved to laugh like that everyday.

DENIAL

The memories are so bright. Mitsuri was a cheerful person after all. Everything seemed so beautiful from her eyes.

D  E  N  I  A  L.

You loved her didn't you, Iguro? The way you would look at her strange beautiful hair and bright smile, it was clear. Yet she could have never conceived such a possibility, ironic for the love pillar.

                 E
                               N
                                         I
                                                      A
                                                                L