April 25 by Ptr. Jair Paul Abarca

Scripture Reading in James 1:22-25

(Just) DO WHAT IT SAYS! This phrase keeps ringing in my heart every time I turn on the pages in the book of James.
James 1:22-25 speaks about our 'supposed' attitude towards the Word of God and its essential applications and impact in our lives.

Before we proceed, this is an excerpt from Charles Swindoll sermon titled, "Mirror, Mirror on the Wall", and he said.....

The Word of God is demanding. The Gospel anticipates a response. This is the reason I conclude almost every message with an appeal. There are no demands placed on you when you read literature, or science, or history. You do not need to take any action if you read a recipe. Merely acquiring knowledge does not demand that you act. However, God's Word, whether delivered as a sermon or whether read, demands action. The message of Christ the Lord is "repent" [Mark 1:15], "come to Me" [Matthew 11:28], and "believe." The Gospel of Christ demands belief, and belief anticipates transformation as the one believing is changed into the likeness of the Risen Son of God.

As you can see, he mentioned that the Word of God is demanding, and response is anticipated from its readers and hearers.

But, let's be real for a second here – we may have failed so many times about this 'do what it says' thing! Simpleng pagsunod nga lang sa alintuntunin ng gobyerno to 'stay at home', minsan mahirap pa ngang isa puso eh. Although, we cannot blame anyone for disobeying, in the end merong naman silang choice eh. (hopefully it's the best choice)

And this is where my point is leading us – everything you did, everything you're doing and will do is ultimately your choice. You can choose to do what bible say, or do otherwise. You can choose to follow the government's protocol to stay at home or not. It's entirely up to you.

Limang aspeto ng buhay natin ang apektado ng mga choices natin:
1. Work. Karamihan nawalan ng trabaho, and they are not happy about it. Mga magulang ko sa palawan, hirap din kasi walang income pero kita pa din ang saya sa kanila kasi napapagkasya nila mga blessings ni Lord araw2x. It is our choice to do something about what we currently have than to be upset about what you don't and can't have. (buti nga merong mga relief goods and amelioration)

2. Health. Innovative na tayo pagdating sa ulam, ilang weeks ba namang na sa bahay lang. My point here guys is this, we can still choose to take care of our physical bodies despite being confined. Hindi naman lahat kagaya ni Sen. Pacquiao na malaki ang bahay at nakakapag exercise, pero tayo, we can choose to do something to improve our physical bodies and improve our health. (minsan kahit push up ok lang – hindi ako expert dito)

3. Learning. It is our choice to add a lot of things to our knowledge and improve it while we are quarantined. Dalangin ko lang na sana, magagandang bagay ang pinapasok natin sa ating isipan, at may kabuluhan ang ating napapanood at nababasa. (why not learn more from reading your Bible?)

4. Social. Aware naman tayo sa social distancing – pero hindi ibig sabihing distance na ang pagtrato natin sa iba. You can still choose to socialize (interact but not get together) and encourage other people, take advantage of the technology that we have and optimize building others kahit na magkakalayo sa isat-isa.

5. Spiritual. Lastly, this is where we should not fail to act. We are now overwhelmed by the idea of this pandemic and its effects on the physical side – but we sometimes forget that we are also have the spiritual battle. The enemy did not pause just because we are in a quarantine, and all the more caution for us who are confined and doing nothing which makes us a sitting duck for the enemy. Let us continue to keep the fire burning by feeding our soul with God's Word and keep on connecting to God through prayer and petition so that may panlaban tayo.

So, in conclusion guys, I would like to point out yung last part ng James 1:25 na sabi doon,

"not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do."

There's always a blessing that awaits to those who rely on God's Word. Just do what it says, keep on doing it and continue to do it!

Have a blessed day!🙂😇

>>>>>>>>>>Life Group Discussion Questions:
1. When was the last time you've seen yourself smiling?
2. Ask yourself, is it okay to smile at your problems?
3. According to this devotion, what is it really mean when we smile at the storms of life?