3. What is Coming

Start from the beginning

The piece of bread in her mouth turned to lead as she swallowed. "She does everything for a reason, Galen."

"I know," Galen responded, dragging a hand over his face. Wrinkles stretched across his skin from years of stress and hard work. "I never thought she'd do something like this. I never imagined..."

Sabrina reached across the table and squeezed his hand. "Nobody ever thought it would come to this. But when it comes to Liliana, this is just the beginning."

Galen's lips turned down in a thoughtful frown. She couldn't remember the last time she had seen him genuinely smile. Her heart ached with the knowledge of what was occurring in the Kan Kingdom. And she couldn't get that terrifying dream out of her mind at all. A dreadful feeling spread through her body once again, sending chills down her spine.

Suddenly, a figure pulled out the empty chair at their table, jerking Sabrina out of her thoughts. The figure pulled back the hood of his black cloak revealing long reddish, brown hair as he sat down.

"You going to finish that?" Ren pointed at the bowl of half-filled porridge. Sabrina shook her head and watched as he dragged the bowl over, stabbing the leftover piece of bread into it.

Ren looked between the two of them. His icy blue eyes settled on Galen. "What's going on?"

"There's been news concerning the Kan Kingdom." Galen blew out an exasperated breath.

"I've heard," Ren said, finishing off the bread and porridge. He dusted off his fingerless leather gloves before shoving his hands in his pocket. "What's your plan?"

Galen drew back in his seat, looking towards the door as if he wanted to leave right then and there. "I plan to save my daughters."

"I'm coming with you." Ren's jaw clenched tight at the thought of going to the Night Castle.

"No, you're not." Galen glared at Ren. "You have responsibilities here."

"That's a load of horse shit, and you know it," Ren snapped back. "I'm coming. End of discussion."

Galen shook his head but made no refute. If Ren wanted to go, there was nothing he could do about it. He couldn't help but understand why he wanted to travel along. For some people, it took learning a lesson the hard way through experiences and failures for them to realize the truth. Ren was one of those people. Galen had known the boy for most of his life, and the desire to protect him was as strong as it was for his daughters.

"What were you talking about earlier, Sabrina?" Galen inquired, his brow scrunching together in worry. Ren clicked his tongue at the obvious dismissal.

"I..." Sabrina paused and cleared her throat, glancing around to make sure no one was listening in on their conversation. "I had a dream."

"Okay," Galen replied slowly. "What of it?"

Sabrina rubbed her chest as it constricted briefly. "Liliana has done an awful thing. She's using her gift, Galen."

"How do you know?"

"I don't know how." Sabrina glanced at Ren's curious face. "Just trust me. If you want to save them, you need to do it fast. Before it's too late."

"Will you travel with me?" Galen reached over, grasping her hand tightly. "You have more sway over her than I do. I could use the help."

Sabrina shook her head, pulling her hand away. "I'll be more useful here. We can't both go into the snake's den. One of us must remain in the Gera Kingdom."

"Be careful, Sabrina. There's more than just snakes in this world. Once I've gotten my daughters, I will return to the shop. May the skies' blessing be with you." Galen stood out of his seat, giving his oldest friend a sad smile. He tossed a couple of bronze coins on the table as Ren stood.