Chapter 34: The departure

Start from the beginning

"I have mistaken Emelia as someone." Alexi began. "But I did not mean to hurt her, I swear upon my life."

"Her wrists are tied with your own cravat. Somehow, that tells me otherwise." His hands clenched in a fist. He had been holding himself back but if this Alexi would continue to taunt him, hell would break loose. "She is a dear friend of mine. And whoever hurts her is an insult to me."

Alexi held his breath. He knew Em was no ordinary servant here but he did not expected she was much, much more. He debated whether he should tell Dathan who he was or he could make up an excuse.

"I apologize, truly I do. There was a misunderstanding and I could not stop myself so soon. I was just about to untie her when you came upon us. Please, my lord, I did not know she was that important to you. If you wish to ban me from here then I shall pack up immediately."

Dathan leaned towards him, his eyes ready to kill. "You're a smart ass with a mouth. Quite good with words but you are not walking away unscathed. No one—not anyone can lay a single finger on her. What you did was unforgivable. I ought to challenge you at a duel. But that would be too easy."

Alexi's eyes panicked. He realized he was dealing with a hot tempered man. "I shall accept any punishment, my lord. But let us not be hasty about a duel. Again, I apologize for laying a hand on her. It did not appear to me that she was your...woman."

Dathan did not like how Alexi said it and he probably did not mean it. It was as if he was saying that Em was a light skirt that belonged to him. He ought to strangle this man so that he could see how Em should be respected. Duels are not his forte and this man may not fare too well. He couldn't let his family's name ruined because of one mistake. Whether he wins or not the result could ruin him.

But the image of Em wriggling beneath him while her wrists were tied, burned his thoughts. He had been holding his anger back way too long now. His demon longed for a fight.

"She need not be my woman for you to know your place. A gentleman does not go around forcing helpless women against her will."

"I understand, my lord. But I did no such thing. Em appeared much too willing to me and I mistook her friendliness for something else." Alexi hoped that his words reached Dathan's consciousness. "I totally misunderstood. She appeared so inviting and I just couldn't help myself."

It was the last straw. He jumped at Alexi while the man was off guard and succeeded. The sudden attack toppled the chair over and both men sprawled on the floor. Grunts and groans could be heard. Em realized that they were brawling. With Alexi on the bottom and Dathan above him. The former held his arms across his face shielding himself from the punches that rained on him.

"Stop...Dathan, control yourself." Em plastered herself on Dathan's back. Her weight hindered him from delivering another blow.

"Let me go, Em. This man thinks he can walk in here and do whatever he wants. Well, I am just about to show him how we treat our guests who misbehave."

Em reached down and wrapped her arms around his chest. Then she pulled him back with all her might. She knew her strength could not match him but she can't let him hurt Alexi. She knew the risks of what harming a royalty could do to them.

"You can't! Please, Dathan. Stop..." she struggled against him. But he was too heavy for her. He was so intent on beating Alexi that removing him from the the floor was like pulling out a leech from it's prey. He was bent on a killing spree. Em grunted and tried her best to stop him. Finally she said, "He's a Prince!"

Dathan's right arm wriggled free from Em's body and was just about to drive another punch when her words stopped him. "What?"

"He's a bloody Prince. You can't hurt him!"