Information Guide

(if you would like me to add plants and animals to the guide, please comment down below.)

THE 'COIN':

This is an original golden plaque that can be found at: Arts of the Americas Collection, Brooklyn Museum, NY

CULTURE Cocolé

MEDIUM Gold

DATE ca. 700-900

PLACE FOUND Sitio Conte, Cocolé Province, Panama

DESCRIPTION

"In Panama the Crocodile God was the principal deity for more than a thousand years and was most likely associated with strength, the sun and water, and fertility. The ruling elite probably wore prestige ornaments like this example in order to appropriate the power of crocodiles, fierce animals connected to the underworld since they float on water and drag their prey below to drown it. On this plaque the crocodilian being may be a creator god or a transformative image of the wearer. Smaller crocodiles surround the central figure, and the triangular border design simulates the animal's protective ridge-like scales. The small holes around the border were probably used to attach the ornament to clothing." *

For futher information, please visit the Brooklyn Museum website.

*Coclé. Plaque with Crocodile Deity, ca. 700-900. Gold, 8 1/2 x 9 in. (21.6 x 22.9 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Museum Expedition 1931, Museum Collection Fund, 33.448.12. Creative Commons-BY (Photo: Brooklyn Museum, 33.448.12_SL1.jpg)