24: What Keeps the Doctor Away

▂▂▂▂▂▂
Aurora ☪︎
▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter 24:
What Keeps the Doctor Away [Edited]

"Let's have a girl's night," I blurt out, turning to my side facing my roommates who are currently laying in their own beds as well. Despite it being 6 in the morning, all of us are up. Obviously, I've been awake for a while but I'm not sure why they are. Emrie especially, she's not exactly a morning person.

It's been a couple weeks after that party and it's been setting me completely off course, I don't know why. I'm not traumatized or anything from it, but there's something nagging me in the back of my mind that makes me feel uneasy. It feels like I'm close to the end of something, like I need to be tying up some loose ends.

"When? Tonight?" Nisha questions, dropping her phone from her face to focus her attention on me. It's one of the things that I respect her for. She won't hesitate to drop her phone and give you her attention.

Emrie's face brightens at the similar words of self-care and instantly climbs down her bed. She rushes to her drawers before pulling out this teal colored bin. "Oh em goodness! This is absolutely perfect!"

"I've been waiting to use these masks since I got them for Christmas and I have too many to count!" She pulls out a plethora of colorful small packages and drops them back in the bin to prove her point.

"Damn, Em that actually is a lot," Nisha remarks, coming to pick up a couple that missed the bin. Her face cringes at one of the packages, turning it around to read the back. "Snail face mask?"

"What?" I sit up, making a face at the mask Nisha shows. There's a picture of a giant snail right in the middle of the packet. "Is it really like... Snail mucus?"

"Yeah, yikes." She cringes before Emrie snatches the face mask back with a huff.

"It's actually good for your skin. It's not even that gross!" She defends the ghastly product as she puts the container back where it came from. "I've used it tons of times and it's not like there's the actual snail on you guys." She rolls her eyes.

I glance at Nisha, debating on if I should push her buttons. It doesn't gross me out that much, but it's funny seeing Emrie getting irked when I'm being overdramatic. Before I can come up with a decision, she's already moving onto the next thing.

"Let's watch a movie too! I'm thinking of something cute like a Disney movie, but we can do other genres too."

"Yeah, that's cool, just no Sleeping beauty," I warn, my threat being empty. "We can do it tonight if you guys aren't busy, another night is cool too." I don't want to make them feel like they have to but I'm sure they can hear the edge in my voice.

"I'm totally down. Tonight would be perfect actually." Emrie pipes up and Nisha nods in agreement. "What else are you thinking of?"

I don't even have anything planned. This was in a spur of the moment I didn't get the chance to actually plan anything out. "How about... Just some self care and we can order some food?" Those are the first things that come to mind. I'm sure we'll add onto it along the way.

"I'll go out and get us some food." Emrie volunteers. "Pizza and wings yes?" Neither of us object to that idea, nodding at Emrie's choice of meal. For one, it's delicious and secondly, we aren't exactly rich enough to get anything fancy.